Best adventures from Dungeon Magazine

kiznit

Explorer
So I've spent a bunch of time this weekend sort of "retiring" my Dungeon Magazine collection - which has really just been sorting them and putting them into a storable space.

Hard not to flip through a lot of them. It's actually a little giddy to be sitting on about 16-inches thick stack of adventure goodness (I've been collecting them since the 3.0 release, issue 90 or so, though I've got some holes) and while I'll admit I haven't read them all cover to cover, I've definitely swiped huge chunks of adventures for my campaigns over the years.

What have been your favorite adventures out of Dungeon Magazine? Stretching back all the way to the 1st and 2nd edition adventures, even?

Sunderstone

First Post
If I had to set up an AP from Dungeon mag, the following are my picks.....

Mad God's Key (1st level/Dungeon #114) - Jason Bulmahn
Home Under The Range (3rd level/Dungeon #134) - Michael Kortes
The Stink (4th level/Dungeon #105) - Monte Lin
The Hive (5th level/Dungeon #127) - Phillip Larwood
Fiendish Footprints (6th level/Dungeon #122) - Tito Leati
Mellorn Hospitality (7th level/Dungeon #107) - Russell Brown
Vile Addiction (8th level/Dungeon #145) - Various
Spawn of Sehan (9th level/Dungeon #146) - Various
Dread Pagoda of the Inscrutable Ones (10th level/Dungeon #147) - Various
Touch of the Abyss (11th level/ Dungeon #117) - Greg A. Vaughan
Shadow of the Abyss (11th level/ Dungeon #118) - Greg A. Vaughan
Wrath of the Abyss (12th level/ Dungeon #119) - Greg A. Vaughan
Lost Temple of Demogorgon (14th level/Dungeon #120) - Sean K. Reynolds
The Mud Sorcerer's Tomb (14th level/Dungeon #138) - Mike Shel
Gates of Oblivion (18th level/Dungeon #136) - Alec Austin
Vlindarian's Vault (18th level/Dungeon #141) - Johnathan M. Richards
Heart of Hellfire Mountain (20th level/Dungeon #140) - Dave Olson

Id run Lost Temple of Demogorgon after the Mud Sorcerer's Tomb at one higher level and Id probably rework Vlindarian's Vault for level 16 or 17 depending on my groups advancement.

Pants

First Post
Aside from one issue, all of my Dungeon is 3e/3.5 (mostly 3.5)

The Whispering Cairn - 1st adventure in the AoW campaign, best intro adventure ever
Hall of Harsh Reflections - For being ballsy about what
dopplegangers would really do when messing with a party
The Champion's Games - The PC's get to be gladiators!
Serpents of Scuttlecove
The Styes
The Weavers - Follow up to the excellent 'The Styes'
Kingdom of the Ghouls - 2e adventure - A really cool looking adventure involving the rise of a kingdom of the undead in the underdark and the players have to stop it
Maure Castle - For being imminently lootable for ideas, magic items, locations, stat-blocks, and monsters

Silver Moon

Adventurer
I've run over a dozen, the most successful probably being "Beast of Burden" from Dungeon #100. I just bumped the Story Hour thread with that module logged - it's also the thread with "Into the Fire" (from Dungeon #1).

Last edited:

wedgeski

Adventurer
I ran Beast of Burden as a New Year's one-shot and it went down spectacularly well. I believe it's also in the top ten Dungeon adventures as listed in the last issue.

Glyfair

Explorer
Chimes at Midnight
Steel Shadows

I have others that looked very attractive (Maure Castle, for example). However, I won't count any as a favorite until I run it, or play in it (although Quoth the Raven comes close).

Pants said:
Kingdom of the Ghouls - 2e adventure - A really cool looking adventure involving the rise of a kingdom of the undead in the underdark and the players have to stop it
I will have to track this down eventually, since I'm a patron of Wolfgang Baur's Empire of Ghouls project.

Last edited:

smootrk

First Post
Trouble at Grog's

and the one where the characters were shrank to fight rats and bugs in a garden (cannot remember the name at the moment, and these older issues are boxed currently).

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
I converted a couple of my favourite Dungeon adventures into the storyline of my Kung Fu Angels game:

Racing The Snake (PCs must distract an assassin for three days)
And Madness Followed (somebody performs "The King In Yellow". And madness, er, followed)

I also used "Tammeraut's Fate" as the opening for my Dead Man's Chest Campaign. GREAT adventure.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
smootrk said:
and the one where the characters were shrank to fight rats and bugs in a garden (cannot remember the name at the moment, and these older issues are boxed currently).

Chadranther's Bane from Dungeon #18

That is one of my favorites, as are:

Tallow's Deep (also from #18)
Song of the Fens (#40)

Remove ads