D&D 5E Best alchemist build

NotAYakk

Legend
What if the Alchemist could create up to int bonus (min 1) potions that store her own spells (she casts the spell into the potion). The possessor of the potion can then cast the spell on themselves for the same action cost, or administer it to an adjacent creature or item (assuming that is a valid target). They pay the concentration cost, if any.

It would be gonzo.

We could also limit it to int bonus spell levels (min 1) at a time, and require a short rest to prepare.

Last edited:

What Alchemists do better than anyone else: Cure status effects (how much this matters depends on the style of game).

The alchemists role in the party: Always remember you are a support character, and most of what you do will be out of combat. You can make magical gear, but you are not suited to make he best use of it - make things for the other party members. Check to see how you can use your tools - look in Xanathar's guide for useful things to do with your expertise in Alchemist's Tools.

When it does come to combat, you are going to want to throw cantrips, and this is where your build matters. Artificers don't get many to choose from, and they are going to want some for utility (Guidance, Mending, Mage Hand). So get Magic Adept (Wizard) or choose a race that gives you a free useful cantrip (High Elf, Yuan-Ti, Fire Genasi are good choices). Chill Touch, Green Flame Blade, Infestation and Toll the Dead are useful spells on the wizard list but not the artificer list.

NotAYakk

Legend
What Alchemists do better than anyone else: Cure status effects (how much this matters depends on the style of game).
Int bonus casts of lesser restoration at level 9, plus 2 3rd level spell slots.

A cleric has 3 level 3, 3 level 4 and 1 level 5 at this point. That is 6 casts of lesser restoration and one of greater restoration.

So at level 9, Cleric > Alchemist at this problem. To a ridiculous degree; the Cleric can cure entire kinds of status effects the Artificer can do nothing about.

At level 15, the Alchemist gets 1 daily gem-free cast of greater restoration. The cleric has up to 8th level slots at this point, and has had greater restoration for 6 levels. She can regenerate limbs, which the artificer can only do by burning one of your attunement slots. The cleric can cast hero's feast, which is a mass cure-poison-disease and preemptive-status-effect immunity. And the cleric has 5 level 5 or higher spell slots every day to remove status effects.

The Alchemist is mediocre at removing (and preventing) status effects. By the time they get it, clerics have been removing the same effects for 4-6 levels, and when they get the ability the cleric is still better at it.

I mean, the cleric does have to burn a spell prepared. But the artificer has burned 2 subclass features, which is much more expensive.

I DM'd a campaign with an Alchemist in it. The subclass features are alright, but can be easily overshadowed, by group composition. The campaign went to 15th level before stopping due to work constraints from the pandemic, (Half the group are medical personnel).
Some features of the campaign worked in the Alchemist's favor, some did not.

In the Favorable Category: It was an urban campaign, (Waterdeep), with Downtime Activities enabled. Allowing an Artificer to use all of their "Adventuring Day Off" spell slots to create Experimental Elixirs for their Adventuring Day, the next day is nice.

I also modified Experimental Elixir to allow potions to be created with Artificer spells equal to the spell slot used.

In the Negative column: it was an 8 person group, 4 players were Paladins, one other player was an Arcane Domain Cleric. Spell Slot-less Lesser and Greater Restoration, and Heal while useful, were largely, unnoticed due to the PC group composition.

A component free Lesser Restoration at 9th level, lacks oomph, if 4 players could remove disease at 1st level via Lay on Hands, and the Cleric of the Arcane could remove hostile spells with Spell Breaker at 6th level. I will stress, the free spells...especially Heal and Greater Restoration are useful, but Spell Breaker steals their Thunder in a large way.

Alchemical Savant is great. The fact that it is not limited to artificer spells makes it better than an Artillerist's Arcane Firearm.

The player wanted to play something akin to a Pyromancer from Song of Fire and Ice.
Their race was Tiefling, (I allowed them to swap their ability modifiers thus +2 Int, +1 Cha), I also allowed them to swap Thaumaturgy for Green Flame Blade, because green flame and GRRM Pyromancers are thematically linked.

Sprinkle in the Flames of Phlegethos and Elemental Adept feats, and it was a potent fire spell caster, and good with Acid Splash etc.

While it took some time and effort to setup, at 1st level, the combination of the Snare spell and the Create Bonfire cantrip is Nasty! Really, Quite Nasty!
(Especially in the sewers of Waterdeep or any corridor like environment.)

In a smaller group, with less or no Paladins or Arcane Clerics, the Alchemist would have shined more.
Multiple Paladin auras and Flash of Genius, is a tremendous combination, the PC group played like it had Legendary Resistance.

My personal opinion is that Alchemist Subclass powers are not balanced for the 3rd level subclass cycle...by the level at which the Alchemist powers come online, they are somewhat diluted. Also the Alchemist should be able to make Sovereign Glue and Universal Solvent....WTF Wizards of the Coast.

Now, I will add this caveat...the Alchemist was the first Artificer I saw in play. The Artillerist's Protector Eldritch Cannon, is the single most powerful thing at lower tiers....I have not seen the Prot Cannon in play past 6th level. I suspect the Alchemist's Temp HP from Experimental Elixirs will still hold up, as you can in effect have a stockpile if the campaign routinely features Days Off.

If not, the magic sprinkler of temp HP that is the Protector Cannon is just amazing.

Last edited:

Ashrym

Legend
Battle smith does get aura of vitality which is a pretty big in and out of combat recovery tool. Neither have the slots available to use spells for HP recovery outside of the most dire circumstances.

The handful of free lesser restoration is nice but can be emulated by the SSI if you really need that many in one day and that feature isnt much later. It's also more flexible that anyone can use it so if you need the spell cast on you someone can use the SSI. If bonus action spells could be used with SSI I think the alchemist could actually be considered a good healing class but alas they would have to stick to cure wounds which is nice but not action or range friendly

I do agree there biggest weak point is basically action economy. They have lots of cool toys they just can't really use them efficiently.

By the time battle smith gains aura of vitality (which is nice) the alchemist has more slots for healing word, THP elixirs, an in combat mass cure instead of one at a time, those bonus lesser restorations, and adds additional INT bonus healing.

Simulating lesser restorations via SSI still carries the opportunity cost for another spell in the SSI.

At higher levels the number of spell slots isn't bad. 1/2 progression is generally about 2/3 number of slots. 6 slots instead of 9 at 5th level is not so bad. It's a bit harsh at 3rd level but later it's the slower access to higher level spells that matters a lot more than the number of slots. The number of slots for the is mitigated by the SSI for either but free elixirs, free lesser restorations, and free greater restoration or heal also add to the alchemist.

I can cast more spells on an artificer in a day than I can a bard or cleric because of the SSI alone. A 20th level alchemist has 15 slots, 3 bonus random elixirs (random isn't great but players find opportunities to use them), 5 free lesser restorations, 1 free greater restoration or heal, and 10 SSI charges.

Full caster progression is 22 slots. It's the typical "lots of weaker magic" concept.

I've never seen a cleric even have lesser restoration prepared. It's always "oh no, we need to find an NPC".
Lol, I carry lesser restoration all the time.

I DM'd a campaign with an Alchemist in it. The subclass features are alright, but can be easily overshadowed, by group composition. The campaign went to 15th level before stopping due to work constraints from the pandemic, (Half the group are medical personnel).
Some features of the campaign worked in the Alchemist's favor, some did not.

In the Favorable Category: It was an urban campaign, (Waterdeep), with Downtime Activities enabled. Allowing an Artificer to use all of their "Adventuring Day Off" spell slots to create Experimental Elixirs for their Adventuring Day, the next day is nice.

I also modified Experimental Elixir to allow potions to be created with Artificer spells equal to the spell slot used.

In the Negative column: it was an 8 person group, 4 players were Paladins, one other player was an Arcane Domain Cleric. Spell Slot-less Lesser and Greater Restoration, and Heal while useful, were largely, unnoticed due to the PC group composition.

A component free Lesser Restoration at 9th level, lacks oomph, if 4 players could remove disease at 1st level via Lay on Hands, and the Cleric of the Arcane could remove hostile spells with Spell Breaker at 6th level. I will stress, the free spells...especially Heal and Greater Restoration are useful, but Spell Breaker steals their Thunder in a large way.

Alchemical Savant is great. The fact that it is not limited to artificer spells makes it better than an Artillerist's Arcane Firearm.

The player wanted to play something akin to a Pyromancer from Song of Fire and Ice.
Their race was Tiefling, (I allowed them to swap their ability modifiers thus +2 Int, +1 Cha), I also allowed them to swap Thaumaturgy for Green Flame Blade, because green flame and GRRM Pyromancers are thematically linked.

Sprinkle in the Flames of Phlegethos and Elemental Adept feats, and it was a potent fire spell caster, and good with Acid Splash etc.

While it took some time and effort to setup, at 1st level, the combination of the Snare spell and the Create Bonfire cantrip is Nasty! Really, Quite Nasty!
(Especially in the sewers of Waterdeep or any corridor like environment.)

In a smaller group, with less or no Paladins or Arcane Clerics, the Alchemist would have shined more.
Multiple Paladin auras and Flash of Genius, is a tremendous combination, the PC group played like it had Legendary Resistance.

My personal opinion is that Alchemist Subclass powers are not balanced for the 3rd level subclass cycle...by the level at which the Alchemist powers come online, they are somewhat diluted. Also the Alchemist should be able to make Sovereign Glue and Universal Solvent....WTF Wizards of the Coast.

Now, I will add this caveat...the Alchemist was the first Artificer I saw in play. The Artillerist's Protector Eldritch Cannon, is the single most powerful thing at lower tiers....I have not seen the Prot Cannon in play past 6th level. I suspect the Alchemist's Temp HP from Experimental Elixirs will still hold up, as you can in effect have a stockpile if the campaign routinely features Days Off.

If not, the magic sprinkler of temp HP that is the Protector Cannon is just amazing.
Few notes here. you can't technically stockpile your elixirs because they reset at the end of a long rest so unless they are practicing a coffelock style tactic it doesn't work.
Also, while the cantrips effected by alchemist savant are not limited to artificer spells directly it is inadvertently just as limited because to get this bonus you have to use your alchemy supplies as your spell-casting focus which only works for artificer spells.

Remove ads