D&D General Best and Worst Editions- For Adventures.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
This seems like an odd exercise. Rating entire editions based solely on the caliber of adventures produced as support material? I think every edition is going to have more than its share of highlights and embarrassing low points. And I suspect many GMs (like myself) rarely ran the materials as written, if they bothered using published materials at all.

That said, I agree mostly with the assessment by @Enrico Poli1, but...
(I skipped 4e...)
I didn't. Allow me to fill in the missing piece.

4th Edition didn't change anything about the way the game was played. Story was still an integral part of the game. Much of the fluff and lore created during that period was among the best we had seen explaining the entire cosmos of the D&D multiverses. But the system forced a lot of the player attention in the combat encounter, which the edition elevated into the centerpiece-showcase of the game experience. So while players were occupied in hours-long combats with lots of tactical options, interactive terrain, and stacking conditions, we often lost sight of the bigger narrative as we moved from one elaborate encounter to the next.

In a way, it hearkens back to the old Gygaxian-style dungeon crawls of 1st edition where the stories were overdrawn, and then summarily overlooked as the party raced to kick down the next door. So while 4e had probably the least memorable adventure or hooks published as a whole, I daresay it probably had the best singular encounters of any edition simply because the edition directed so much attention there.

Furthermore, the Neverwinter Campaign book, though technically not an adventure, was a ginormous toolbox in a sandbox of potential adventures. It is one of my favorite things from that edition. Alas, it came towards the end just before WotC dropped the whole thing and we barely saw anything more come out of it than a mediocre tie-in season of Encounters and a small handful of adventures in Dungeon.

Also, Halls of Undermountain needs an honorable mention. It doesn't have the laser-focus of the encounters like previous 4e adventures, and it leans closer towards what we see now in most 5e adventures: a linear path embedded in a sandbox setting that allowed DMs flexibility and freedom to move the pieces as needed to set their own pace and include their own personal additions.

R_J_K75

Legend
This seems like an odd exercise. Rating entire editions based solely on the caliber of adventures produced as support material? I think every edition is going to have more than its share of highlights and embarrassing low points. And I suspect many GMs (like myself) rarely ran the materials as written, if they bothered using published materials at all.

That said, I agree mostly with the assessment by @Enrico Poli1, but...

I didn't. Allow me to fill in the missing piece.

4th Edition didn't change anything about the way the game was played. Story was still an integral part of the game. Much of the fluff and lore created during that period was among the best we had seen explaining the entire cosmos of the D&D multiverses. But the system forced a lot of the player attention in the combat encounter, which the edition elevated into the centerpiece-showcase of the game experience. So while players were occupied in hours-long combats with lots of tactical options, interactive terrain, and stacking conditions, we often lost sight of the bigger narrative as we moved from one elaborate encounter to the next.

In a way, it hearkens back to the old Gygaxian-style dungeon crawls of 1st edition where the stories were overdrawn, and then summarily overlooked as the party raced to kick down the next door. So while 4e had probably the least memorable adventure or hooks published as a whole, I daresay it probably had the best singular encounters of any edition simply because the edition directed so much attention there.

Furthermore, the Neverwinter Campaign book, though technically not an adventure, was a ginormous toolbox in a sandbox of potential adventures. It is one of my favorite things from that edition. Alas, it came towards the end just before WotC dropped the whole thing and we barely saw anything more come out of it than a mediocre tie-in season of Encounters and a small handful of adventures in Dungeon.

Also, Halls of Undermountain needs an honorable mention. It doesn't have the laser-focus of the encounters like previous 4e adventures, and it leans closer towards what we see now in most 5e adventures: a linear path embedded in a sandbox setting that allowed DMs flexibility and freedom to move the pieces as needed to set their own pace and include their own personal additions.

Never looked at 4E liked that but you make good points.

Yenrak

Explorer
There were a ton of great adventures put out in the 3E era but many of them weren't Wizards of the Coast adventures. Forge of Fury stands out as possibly the best of the WoTC adventures. But the stuff from Necromancer Games was some of the best adventures ever published. Rapan Athuk, Tomb of Abysthor, Vault of Larin Karr, Doom of Listonshire all come to mind but almost their entire catalog is stellar. I feel bad for people who never got to play the Necromancer "third edition rules, first edition feel" adventures.

JeffB

Legend
If we count Third Party, which I wasn't then

3E jumps up a.couple notches

2E stays

4E pulls ahead of 2e

5E goes up one notch.

O/AD&D and the Basic games go through the roof with the addition of Judges Guild, Wee Warriors, Dungeoneer, and all of the great products being produced for the OSR.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
If we count Third Party, which I wasn't then

3E jumps up a.couple notches

2E stays

4E pulls ahead of 2e

5E goes up one notch.

O/AD&D and the Basic games go through the roof with the addition of Judges Guild, Wee Warriors, Dungeoneer, and all of the great products being produced for the OSR.
Hmmm.

To me it's the 3rd-party material that sinks 3e. Sure there were some true gems e.g. Rappan Athuk, but I'm sorry: I just can't get past all the complete garbage that came out in the 2001-2003 era that by 2004 FLGSs couldn't give away.

Agreed re 4e moving up, mostly due to the Goodman Games DCC series.

Judges Guild from the 0e-1e era, on the other hand, are as hit-and-miss as anything's ever been in this realm. Were I to take every adventure I've ever read/played/run and put together a top-10 and bottom-10 list, JG would be well represented in both lists. :)

Sacrosanct

Legend
I don’t count 3PP or dungeon. Only official adventures. My first place goes to 1e/basic. I combine the two because we interchanged the adventures all the time. Some great iconic one, and some stinkers (ahem, Forest Oracle)

Second place goes to 2e. I know when 2e came about they focused on settings rather than adventures, but three of the best adventures came from 2e: ruins of the undermountain, Night Below, and Gates of Firestorm Peak.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I've never much cared for published adventures. I generally prefer to make my own, or just run off the cuff.

That said, there was a goofiness to the Gygaxian TSR years that was as charming as it was appalling. While the 2e era seemed more, IDK, pretentious. As far as the WotC era, 3pps have generally produced the better adventures.

Zardnaar

Legend
I don’t count 3PP or dungeon. Only official adventures. My first place goes to 1e/basic. I combine the two because we interchanged the adventures all the time. Some great iconic one, and some stinkers (ahem, Forest Oracle)

Second place goes to 2e. I know when 2e came about they focused on settings rather than adventures, but three of the best adventures came from 2e: ruins of the undermountain, Night Below, and Gates of Firestorm Peak.

Dungeon is official.

I started this thread as I wasn't sure where to place a few editions.

I forgot a few adventures for various editions.

The criteria used to evaluate the following is the amount of gems one can find in the adventures.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I had a rough idea in my head how I would rank stuff and due to posts that has changed. I'm going to exclude OD&D as there just wasn't really enough adventures published for it to really rate it one way or another. I'm also going to do two lists, one includes dungeon and 3pp and one excludes dungeon and 3pp.

Best D&D Editions Adventure Wise

1st Place 1E
So many classic adventures, by modern standards a bit dungeon crawl but there is also a decent variety and experimentation.

2nd Place Pathfinder
For a while their Paizo was on fire and good adventure design was kind of their thing. Outside the APs they also had several stand alone adventures.

3rd place BECMI
Not a lot of adventures released for it relative to the other editions but there are a lot of hits in the B and X series in particular while several of the CM adventures are interesting but I suspect no one played them since a tiny % of players would hit level 15+.

4th Place 2E
2E adventures are notorious for being bad especially compared to say 1E. However the edition did have several great adventures but they were often either setting specific or came very late in the edition cycle (The Night Below, Return to the Tomb of Horrors, Rod of 7 Parts etc). It had a very bad gem to crap ratio but more gems relative to the editions ranked below it.

5th Place
5E has a great ruleset but to many of the adventures are derivative, LMoP is great and original but its only 1 adventure. Reaction is very mixed on to many of the 5E APs as well with only a relative handful in the good to great range.

6th Place 3E
Just not enough published adventures I would consider good/great.

7th Place 4E
When you can only find 2-3 maybe good adventures you have a problem

Remove ads