• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best and worst of 4th Ed. Monsters

Venport

First Post
One monster that I think was well done and would be remiss not to mention is Blazing Rorn the Fury. I think he's one of the best solos yet (up there with Tiamat imo). He has loads of unique attacks and his aura is really, really cool. I like the fact that the fight changes significantly once he's bloodied (as opposed to the monster just receiving a recharge of one of it's attacks).

I have the FR book but did not read it in all that much detail. After reading the Blazing Rorn, i agree 100% very cool monster I may take some of the ideas out of his stat block and use them for some lower level monsters.
Thanks

Nebulous

Legend
I really hope that Demogorgon is done right in the MM2.

I'd hope that with all the practice they've had, yeah, Demogorgon will be cool. I was really, really lukewarm about the presentation of the MM, but i'll still shell out for the MM2. I love me some monsters.

Starsunder

Explorer
I have the FR book but did not read it in all that much detail. After reading the Blazing Rorn, i agree 100% very cool monster I may take some of the ideas out of his stat block and use them for some lower level monsters.
Thanks

NP :)

What's cool about Rorn is that if the DM really uses his abilities smartly, he can totally control the battlefield, what with his aura, the Earthchains ability, and his movement abilities (climbing, earthwalk, phasing through earth and lava).

Set up right, he can be a real challenge.

I'd hope that with all the practice they've had, yeah, Demogorgon will be cool. I was really, really lukewarm about the presentation of the MM, but i'll still shell out for the MM2. I love me some monsters.

Well, the newer monsters appear to be benefiting from practice on the designers part, so I have high hopes for Demo.

Incidently, has anyone heard how Vecna is stated?

Ktulu

First Post
The Shadar-Kai Gloomblade is one I don't like. It's blinding power is too powerful. Literally, get combat advantage against the rogue, then blind him. every attack after that will keep him blinded with no save ends. The blind attack should be a recharge or something.

As to ones I like. Hmm.. I really like the dragons. They all feel different, now, having differently styled attacks and combinations. I can remember when (and mind you, the dm wasn't the best) in an old game (3.5) the DM was using a red dragon mini for a black dragon (the only one he had). mid-way through the fight, the wizard casts resist fire on himself. Once we all stopped laughing, he said it wasn't his fault, it didn't seem any different from the red. At least now that difference is even more clear.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
So far I think one of the more appealing monsters (on paper) is the new Beholder.

Most of the dragons I like, apart from the Red dragon which is lacking abilities to move or react to people (it only gets its immediate action if it is flanked, which will probably come up a lot less than the other dragons options for immediate actions).

Starsunder

Explorer
The Shadar-Kai Gloomblade is one I don't like. It's blinding power is too powerful. Literally, get combat advantage against the rogue, then blind him. every attack after that will keep him blinded with no save ends. The blind attack should be a recharge or something.

As to ones I like. Hmm.. I really like the dragons. They all feel different, now, having differently styled attacks and combinations. I can remember when (and mind you, the dm wasn't the best) in an old game (3.5) the DM was using a red dragon mini for a black dragon (the only one he had). mid-way through the fight, the wizard casts resist fire on himself. Once we all stopped laughing, he said it wasn't his fault, it didn't seem any different from the red. At least now that difference is even more clear.

Dude, thats really funny, with the wizard casting resist fire b/c of the mini's color. :p

I feel they really missed an ample opportunity to develop the pallete-swap Dragons, Archons and boring Giants.

The humanoids are pretty slick!

My problem is not so much with the giants as it is with thier big brothers, the titans. I expect more from a titan than a slightly higher level and maybe 1 extra attack or ability. IMO titans should be masters of thier chosen element and have powers that go above and beyond what giants are capable of. I realize that they are elites and not solos but still...

So far I think one of the more appealing monsters (on paper) is the new Beholder.

Most of the dragons I like, apart from the Red dragon which is lacking abilities to move or react to people (it only gets its immediate action if it is flanked, which will probably come up a lot less than the other dragons options for immediate actions).

Yeah I forgot about the Beholder, and I agree its really well done; plenty of options and threats to keep the fight from getting stale.

I wondered if I was the only one who thought the Red dragon got the shaft in immediate actions. The Red dragons saving grace from my view is its beastly AC. 48 is nothing to scoff at (for the ancient).

Starsunder

Explorer
My friends say from personal experience that the Gibbering Orb takes the Beholder formula and makes it massively unappealing.

Massively unappealing as in it sucks they copied the Beholder? Or something else?

Sorry if this is a blatently obvious answer...I've had a few drinks :eek:

Remove ads