Best Campaigns to convert into 5e? Suggestions Please!

Grakarg

Explorer
What are the best long series of adventures or campaign would you convert into 5e, and why?

I feel the hankering to start something new with my current group of players, but none of the current WOTC offerings seem to inspire me at the moment. So I was wondering what 3rd party publishers had really great campaign offerings, or other game systems had a great story campaign for their setting/system that could be converted to 5e.

What out there do you think is great, but doesn't get enough love?
Should I check out Enemy Within from Warhammer Fantasy? Griffin Mountain from Runequest? The Freeport adventures by Green Ronin? Hellfrost from Savage Worlds?

Any suggestion from any edition of D&D, any publisher, or any other game system is welcome; just not looking for the current WOTC hardbacks.

Here is one: Red Hand of Doom, from the 3.5 era of D&D.
Great long adventure, epic fights in each portion, memorable opponents, a grand story to stop a hobgoblin army. I converted this to 5E and my players had a blast. Highly recommend!

GlassJaw

Hero
All the Freeport stuff is awesome. I started running the original trilogy for a group and they loved it. Fairly easy to convert, although some of the NPCs are rather unique.

Ad&d Night Below. It's frequently mentioned. Definitely a classic. Primarily an Underdark campaign but lots of twists, turns, and role-playing.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
Dragonlance, the War of the Lance is probably one of the best stories ever.
I totally support Dragonlance.
Right now I'm running a dark sun campaign. It is freaking inspiring. I'm running the original campaign (freedom, road to Urik, arcane shadows, etc).
I can tell you, it is the best campaign I ran so far. My players love it, they are engaged with their characters, the setting and the campaign. If you can catch the feeling you will be ok. Also there is a lot of work out there to adapt dark sun to 5e. The way the adventures are organised lets me lot of space to do with wherever I like. Mostly used to add parallel quests, personal quests or hints about the order (for the last adventure)

neogod22

Explorer
I totally support Dragonlance.
Right now I'm running a dark sun campaign. It is freaking inspiring. I'm running the original campaign (freedom, road to Urik, arcane shadows, etc).
I can tell you, it is the best campaign I ran so far. My players love it, they are engaged with their characters, the setting and the campaign. If you can catch the feeling you will be ok. Also there is a lot of work out there to adapt dark sun to 5e. The way the adventures are organised lets me lot of space to do with wherever I like. Mostly used to add parallel quests, personal quests or hints about the order (for the last adventure)
I loved Dark Sun. The Prism Pentad series which the campaign was based off of was great until the end. The problem is when you kill off your major villains, it kind of kills the campaign.

ccs

41st lv DM
There's quiet a few good APs from Pathfinder.
My own favorites are:
●Skull & Shackles - a pirate campaign
●Mummies Mask - tomb raiding etc in fantasy Egypt like land
●Reign of Winter - the pcs are using the Dancing Hut to track down Baba Yaga. Each module takes the pcs further & further from home.

Tormyr

Adventurer
What are the best long series of adventures or campaign would you convert into 5e, and why?

I feel the hankering to start something new with my current group of players, but none of the current WOTC offerings seem to inspire me at the moment. So I was wondering what 3rd party publishers had really great campaign offerings, or other game systems had a great story campaign for their setting/system that could be converted to 5e.

What out there do you think is great, but doesn't get enough love?
Should I check out Enemy Within from Warhammer Fantasy? Griffin Mountain from Runequest? The Freeport adventures by Green Ronin? Hellfrost from Savage Worlds?

Any suggestion from any edition of D&D, any publisher, or any other game system is welcome; just not looking for the current WOTC hardbacks.

Here is one: Red Hand of Doom, from the 3.5 era of D&D.
Great long adventure, epic fights in each portion, memorable opponents, a grand story to stop a hobgoblin army. I converted this to 5E and my players had a blast. Highly recommend!

War of the Burning Sky is coming out for 5e. Chapter 1, the campaign guide, and the player's guide are in final review and layout to be released on DriveThruRPG and Roll20.

WotBS examines war in a world infused with magic. It provides a core framework entwining multiple plot threads with a rich backstory to anchor PCs in the world and inform the running of NPCs. There is a core adventure path that runs directly from levels 3-20 while leaving enough room for the DM and players to take it in different directions. There are several big battles, but instead of turning into a wargame, the PCs embark on key missions to influence the battle to success or failure.
[MENTION=63]RangerWickett[/MENTION] was the campaign manager for both this and Zeitgeist (and wrote several chapters of each) and did a great job on both adventure paths. It includes chapters written by:
Jacob Driscoll
Wil Upchurch
Wolfgang Baur
Andrew Kenrick
Jeremy Anderson
Ari Marmell
Ken Marable
Shane O'Connor

I do not know every adventure path out there, but I think this may be the closest a DM can get to a Record of Lodoss War​ style campaign in a prepackaged adventure path. For further information: wotbsadventurepath.com

You can also follow my campaign which is only a couple of sessions in: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...r-of-the-Burning-Sky-campaign-spoilers-abound

@Lylandra is running the 3.5 (or 4e?) version, is over halfway through, provides exceptional session writeups, and is reviewing the 5e product before it goes to publication. http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?493652-Lylandra-s-War-of-the-Burning-Sky-continued

Last edited:

war of the burning sky
zeitgeist
night below
desert of desolation

I feel like I'm in good company. The Night Below was the first D&D I ever ran. Apparently I need to play Desert of Desolation.

As Tormyr said, WotBS and ZEITGEIST are being converted to 5e. Both adventure paths were planned out fairly thoroughly before we started writing, and I'm very proud of how we set things up and paid them off later, especially our villains.

I hope you check the campaigns out.

If updating from 3e/Pathfinder, I’d recommend going with Rise of the Runelords or Curse of the Crimsom Throne. Easy to find collected.
I’d reccomend staying away from Dragonlance, as that has not aged well. The last half is terrible. It could be a good source of inspiration or if you’re willing to read a few novels (like six) and rewrite large sections.

Remove ads