D&D 5E Best Class and Why???

I see a lot of love for monks here. Let me chime in and say that I really love playing diplomats and spies and other unarmed-and-apparently-harmless characters.

Monks (and bardlocks) work great in that role because all of their tools are invisible. No need for a huge greatsword and plate armor--this nerdy little accountant is going to kill you with his quill and his bare hands!

It doesn't really fit in a dungeon crawling game but it's fun in other kinds of games.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Mage [/wizard/magic-user/sorcerer/whatever you want to call them].

I'm playing a fantasy adventure game of dragons and treasures and monsters and magic.

Using, having, learning, "mastering" magic, actual sorcery, that "works/is real" [in the world] is an essential element of the genre. High magic, low magic, highly ordered hierarchical nations of wizards or lone shadowy outsider figures using "folk magic/witchcraft." It's all good, but magic -in some form- is essential...and I WANNIT!!!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Rangers are fun bc exploration is fun, Bards are fun because I can play a race without the back stabbing stuff of the rogue, and then monks and warlocks for all the same reasons as everyone else.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The above is a good list, but I should have mentioned the Assassin. Especially the 4e Assassin classes. Not really the 3.x PrC, or the 5e rogue subclass.

Mechanically, I love playing extremely mobile sword fighters, and my favorites are either acrobats, swashbucklers, esp swashbuckler bards, and shadow Mystic Assassin guys. Teleporting around your enemies while stabbing them is. The. Best!

Thematically, I like being able to play a smart character that isn't stuck in the Sage, Wizard, or Jedi role. I want smart, often but not always charismatic, troublemakers. My Rangers and monks, and more recently Paladin, have "extraneous" Lore/research skills and 12+ int. My 4e swashbuckling Bard was a Cunning Bard, rather than a Valor Bard. My current Warlock gish is a tinker gnome Tome Warlock, with a 12 int, Arcana, Theivery, and a background as an Alchemist/inventor.

My Star Wars characters tend toward "Jedi Macguyver", except they are usually some kind of non Jedi force user. Or force using monks. I love that SWSE lets me make one that sets things on fire when she punches them.

For some reason, 5e's Bard doesn't tilt my kilt at all. Every other ed, even 3.5 when they "sucked", I played the frack out of the Bard.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Mechanically, I love playing extremely mobile sword fighters, and my favorites are either acrobats, swashbucklers, esp swashbuckler bards, and shadow Mystic Assassin guys. Teleporting around your enemies while stabbing them is. The. Best!

I was really fond of the 3.5 Swordsage... I made a swordsage/swashbuckler that could eventually teleport 150 ft. in a round by blowing all his actions - combined with his maxed-out Tumble and his spiked chain he was everywhere smacking everyone, bouncing around like a crazed pinball before stopping to lay down some terrible hurting on multiple opponents (and adding three or sometimes four ability modifiers to his damage, lol). And he wasn't just a capable combatant but a full skill monkey as well. His backstory and fighting style were both based based on Jackie Chan's own real history - a trained acrobat from a "theatre" school.

In general, historically I like rangers and rogues, and sometimes monks, since I'm mostly into swashbuckling, agility or stealth. If I do a spellcaster, it's usually a warlock or an illusionist. One of my favorite oldschool characters was a half-elven ranger/illusionist who was heavily Tolkien-influenced.

Rhenny

Adventurer
Wizard all the way (but sometimes rogue). I just think those two mesh best with my roleplaying preferences. I like to play the intelligent, deliberate type of character who has to think and solve problems in a variety of ways. I like having a large tool kit and spell versatility provides that. The rogue's abundance of proficiencies also provides a similar experience.

I also think I like fictional characters like Elric and Raistlin, The Gray Mouser and shady characters from Thieves' World stories best. So, when I get a chance to play, I play characters that are more like those when possible. Very goal oriented, problem solvers that may have weaknesses along with strengths.

SmokingSkull

First Post
My favorite class has to be the Fighter, there's just something both classic and awe inspiring being the guy who relies on his wits, tools and technique to survive. I especially enjoy solving problems through mundane means whenever possible, who needs finger wagging and magic power when good old-fashioned elbow grease and ingenuity can be just as if not a better solution. Characters like Guts, Brick, Big Boss, Martin (from the Redwall series), Beowulf, Herakles, Roland and others of their ilk are where I draw inspiration from when playing such a character. Although for fluff I do so enjoy the Barbarian, and to a lesser extent Ranger. I like playing characters who know how to survive in a harsh world, after all the creature comforts of society are not always so readily available (Unless you're doing an intrigue style campaign but I digress).

Whenever I get the chance the characters I play also have some kind of crafting skill, for my current one I have blacksmithing and leatherworking. Being able to make tangible things from material, sourcing said material and interacting with the world's artisans are some of the most memorable moments for me when not in combat or survival mode.

Remove ads