D&D 5E Best Class and Why???

Bladecoder

First Post
I want to know your favorite classes, or what you think is the best class and why. It can be for mechanical, roleplay, or for nostalgia purposes. Just make sure to leave them below!

My favorite class is definatly the Warlock, as I believe that it brings the most roleplay opportunities to the table, especially if you have an awesome DM who knows what they are doing.

So again what is your favorite class and why?

Any class from any edition is okay. Thanks in advance.

Lanliss

Explorer
My favorite class to play, mechanically, is a Monk, with Warlock being a close second. I like the flexibility of the monk, and how many things it can accomplish. Mobile, not the worst damage, unarmored AC, so I don't have to arm up in combat. Warlock is also super flexible, allowing me to mesh it with pretty much any concept.

My favorite Flavor class is Warlock. None of the other classes pop out to me as standing above the others in flavor, so I don't have a list beyond that. Warlock has great fluff, especially if you approach it with the thought that they don't have to be Evil, nor do their patrons. So much room for customization to my story, rather than a story someone else wrote into the class.

Last edited:

I really liked the 3.x Healer class, from the Miniature's Handbook. It didn't have heavy armor or shields, and there was never any temptation to waste spell slots on non-healing spells, but they were significantly better at the spells they could cast - adding your Charisma bonus to the healing from Cure Minor Wounds meant that you could get the equivalent of an entire day of natural healing by spending a single cantrip slot!

Plus, they got a free unicorn companion!

famousringo

First Post
I'm a fan of Warlock as a sort of build-your-own class. Do reliable ranged DPR with little investment, then allocate resources towards whatever you want to achieve. Big blasts and rituals for a wizard-like caster. Or invest in durability and melee DPR for a gish. Invisible minion and utility Invocations for a roguish arcane scout. Telepathy, enchantments and illusions to be a beguiler.

Whatever you want your character to do, you can build a warlock to do it.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
My favourite class is probably wizard, it doesn't matter what game I play, I normally go a spellcaster and for D&D that generally leads to me playing a wizard. Mind you, I'm happy to play most classes and have back-up characters of paladins, fighters, clerics, sorcerers, and rangers so that if my current PC dies, I can quickly get back into playing.

Lancelot

Adventurer
For D&D CRPGs (like Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights), my favorite class is always the rogue. There is one simple reason for this: locks. A locked chest drives me wild. Even if it likely only has a few GP and a moldy cheese inside, I need to get that sucker open. It preys on my mind, and makes me jittery. Unfortunately, most CRPGs destroy some or all the loot inside a chest if you just bash it open. The rogue (or rogue-analog) is the only class that is going to get it open safely. This "locked door" obsession extends to every other CRPG I play. Skyrim? I'll be leveling up my Lockpicking as fast as possible. Knights of the Old Republic? I'll be playing a scoundrel, so that I can open all those security doors and locked bins. Dishonored? I'll be choosing all the powers that allow me to get into locked rooms, before I ever consider something that allows me to kill opponents faster.

For tabletop gaming, my favorite class is the wizard... and it's due to another aspect of my obsessive personality. I'm a collector and a hoarder. I'm the kind of person who, if I pick up a few minis or trading cards, I must have them all. It took me many years and a lot of money simply overcoming my addiction to Magic the Gathering... and, in truth, I've simply channeled the energy into other drugs like Kickstarter and trade paperbacks and minis. At the tabletop, wizards help soothe (or feed?) that desire, thanks to their spellbooks. Clerics, paladins and druids are boring to me; they can pray for any spell they want. Warlocks, sorcerers, bards and rangers are too constrained for me; they have a list of known spells, which they can't exceed. But wizards are basically unlimited - they can fill their books with dozens and dozens of spells. The joy of learning or finding (or even designing) a new spell is unparalleled. It excites me to "catch them all", even if there's no chance I'll ever use 90% of the spells in an actual game... :)

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
My favorite class in 5e is probably the monk. It can cover a pretty wide range of archetypes; I had a wild elf way of shadow monk that was basically a jungle guerrilla fighter, and he was a crapload of fun to play.

My favorite class overall is the Archivist, from the 3.5 Heroes of Horror book. Cool concept, dripping with flavor.

Remove ads