TSR Best D&D Novels

I read most of them through the 2E years. Most of them were forgettable (and I've indeed forgotten them). Of the ones I liked most, I'd say the first two Drizzt trilogies, the first two Dragonlance trilogies, the Maztica and Horde trilogies, the two Moonshae trilogies, and The Ring of Winter....

MGibster

Legend
Of the novels based on D&D settings (Dragonlance, FR, Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Ebberon, etc), what would you consider your standouts?
I only ever read Ravenloft novels and while I read quite a few of them it's been more than 25 years. I did recently re-read I, Strahd by P.N. Elrod and Vampire of the Mists by Christie Golden and they were both. The only other Ravenloft novel that stands out to me is Knight of the Black Rose because it features Lord Soth.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Heck, even Drizzt got tiresome for me around Starless night and the whole king Obdoul storyline. Too much of a food thing can sometimes spoil the broth...
I did like the Obould storyline, though, because I liked the idea of Many Arrows. And he was really the only villain Salvatore has written that could legit kick Drizzt's ass. I dislike that they undid Many Arrows, unfortunately, or pushed it back into the one keep in the mountains (currently reading that series where Bruenor and Cattie-Brie are going religious genocide on the orcs).

I did like the Obould storyline, though, because I liked the idea of Many Arrows. And he was really the only villain Salvatore has written that could legit kick Drizzt's ass. I dislike that they undid Many Arrows, unfortunately, or pushed it back into the one keep in the mountains (currently reading that series where Bruenor and Cattie-Brie are going religious genocide on the orcs).
My thoughts on that are a mixed bag. The stories are well written but the super unkillable hero Drizzt became over the course of the books after the side story line with Entreri lessened my interest. But it took literally, a god invested Orc to pose a challenge to Drizzt. Even Raistlin finally got down. At some point, too much of a good thing spoils the broth. I did buy all the books, but did not get as much enjoyment as I did with the first six (which I read many times).

Take the cleric's Quintet. Nice books, nice wrap up and Salvatore has not extended the sauce to the point where it became less interesting. Two trilogies are usually the maximum you can see if you want to keep logical. There are exceptions, of course, but it takes a lot of work to do it. The sword of truth comes to mind but even then, after the 9th book, it was clear it had to end somehow. I was really happy when Goodkind did the books on people able to recognize serial killers just by looking into their eyes. It is unfortunate he had such an early demise...

There were many series which lasted longer than two trilogies, not all were really good. Again many exceptions but usually, three to six is about the max.

Did you read his Demon serie?

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
"Record of Lodoss War: The Grey Witch" by Mizuno Ryo.

It's the original Lodoss War story, adapted from a Mizuno's original Lodoss D&D game replay (Mizuno was the DM). The novel was recently published in English for the first time ever. The same story appears in manga and anime form, as well. Later Mizuno game replays were adapted into novels and manga, but they changed their game rules to a homebrew system called Sword World because TSR wouldn't license the setting in Japan.

Mezuka

Hero
Dragonlance novel Weasel's Luck. Haven't read it since it came out. YMMV. There was a sequel.

The first Drizzt novel when he is young in 'Menzo' is memorable.

Kaaz the Minotaur! 🙃

Zardnaar

Legend
My thoughts on that are a mixed bag. The stories are well written but the super unkillable hero Drizzt became over the course of the books after the side story line with Entreri lessened my interest. But it took literally, a god invested Orc to pose a challenge to Drizzt. Even Raistlin finally got down. At some point, too much of a good thing spoils the broth. I did buy all the books, but did not get as much enjoyment as I did with the first six (which I read many times).

Take the cleric's Quintet. Nice books, nice wrap up and Salvatore has not extended the sauce to the point where it became less interesting. Two trilogies are usually the maximum you can see if you want to keep logical. There are exceptions, of course, but it takes a lot of work to do it. The sword of truth comes to mind but even then, after the 9th book, it was clear it had to end somehow. I was really happy when Goodkind did the books on people able to recognize serial killers just by looking into their eyes. It is unfortunate he had such an early demise...

There were many series which lasted longer than two trilogies, not all were really good. Again many exceptions but usually, three to six is about the max.

Did you read his Demon serie?

I don't think he's done a great Drizzt novel since 1999. There's been some ok ones after that but the last one I read was terrible.

He always seems to try and fit the latest world shakeuos and edition changes in as well.

But the main problem is just to many and Drizzt is overdone, predictable and ultimately boring.

The Knight of the Black Rose has come up a lot. I just finished it a month or so ago.

Ah, a story about two brooding self-absorbed goths who both think a woman is for owning trying to out-brood and out-goth each other. ;) (which fit in perfect for the time it was written)

I kid. Sorta. I found it an enjoyable read, and Jim Lowder is a pretty good human, so not gonna knock it.

The Sequel was pretty good too (Spectre of the Black Rose)

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Lynn Abbey’s Dark Sun books. Brazen Gambit, Cinnabar Shadows, Rise and Fall of a Dragon King.

Morris Simon’s The Black Vessel, set in Mystara.

Simon Hawke’s The Iron Throne set in Birthright.

Maybe Paul Kidd’s White Plume Mountain.

PN Elrod’s I, Strahd.

update: stretching definitions here, but Deeds of Paksenarrion is clearly a D&D book. 🙃

Remove ads