• Dark Elf Trilogy

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Icewind Dale Trilogy

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Cleric Quintet

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • I, Strahd

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Saga of the Old Cities (Gord the Rogue)

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Misc Harpers (Ring of Winter, Song of Ice, etc)

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Finder's Stone (Azure Bonds, etc)

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Knight of the Black Rose

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Vox Machina

• Cormyr Saga

• Spellfire

• Avatar Series (Shadowdale, Waterdeep, etc)

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Module Novels (White Plume Mountain, Keep on the Borderlands, etc)

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Songs and Swords series

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Neverwinter Saga

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 17 22.1%

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
I have very fond memories of The Cleric Quintet and Dragonlance Chronicles. Yes, they are UA stuff, but I still occasionally bring them as comfort reading on vacations etc.

aco175

Legend
I cannot remember if it was the Crystal Shard series or the Dragonlance Chronicles that got me into reading D&D books, but I think I read more FR books along the way. I do recall liking Knight of the Black Rose when I read it in the Army.

I often see… ire? Online for all things Drizzt, but I’ve had to have read Honeland-Sojourn at least 3-4 times since I discovered them in middle school.
Now it has been a long time since I've read anything Drizzt, so take everything I'm about to say with a heaping spoonful of salt. But I think there are two main problems, especially in the later books. First, Drizzt seems to have gotten a reputation as a Mary Sue. He's simply the best at everything. 3,872 orcs? That's an easy encounter for our dark elf hero!

Second, is the dice rolling in the background. I noticed this heavily in Road of the Patriarch and it is one of the reasons I stopped reading Salvatore. Just based on the prose, all I could think was "Oh, she's a level 17 monk and he just failed his fort save" which unfortunately drew me out of the narrative.

It looks like he's written a lot since I've stopped reading his works so I cannot comment if the problems have exacerbated or diminished since then.

First, Drizzt seems to have gotten a reputation as a Mary Sue. He's simply the best at everything. 3,872 orcs? That's an easy encounter for our dark elf hero!
I'm not sure if it was the original source for this, but the Baldur's Gate CRPG included a Drizzt cameo in which he slaughters dozens of gnolls whilst the low level player character and their party are still on their first one. It's kind of like the Black Widow/Happy scene in Iron Man 2.

jeffh

Adventurer
Good read bad for setting.
Dark Sun was probably the first thing I ever became curmudgeonly about. They created this setting with all these intriguing plot seeds DMs could do all sorts of things with, then in the first licensed series meant to introduce the setting to people they destroyed a huge chunk of them. Killing Kalak off in the first book was fine, that changed the setting in a way that made it more interesting for PCs, but by the end they'd revealed WAY too much initially-mysterious backstory, killed off "The" Dragon and a few too many other key characters, altered the political situation beyond recognition (rather than just throwing a single interesting spanner in it as the first book did), shown us quite a bit of what lay outside the Tablelands (only a little of which was all that interesting)... I would have been much happier if they'd ended that series after a lot less than five books.

I don't agree that they were that good of books, either. The first two or three were very enjoyable for what they are, but the last one in particular I didn't like at all. Of course, it's hard to view them now as I would have at the time, with so much hindsight on both how the Prism Pentad itself ended and Denning's later atrocities against the Star Wars expanded universe. (Star by Star is probably the best piece of fiction he ever wrote, though it's damning with faint praise to some extent - it's post-NJO that my objections start in earnest.) That no doubt colours my recollections of his earlier books.

Last edited:

Remove ads