• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best D20 non-WotC Campaign Setting?

Drakstern

First Post
I'm a fan of Scarred Lands, myself.

The well fleshed out history and excellent support that's come out of SSS for it are what made it for me.

Though it can be a fair bit grimmer than most.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well at least I'm getting some love. (Thanks Olive!) :)

Blue, I can also tell you about some Story Hours if you want. Both Lars Frehe's "Struggle and Strife" is a great story hour set in the Scarred Lands, and Ruined One also has his. If that has any bearing I dunno but thought that might give you something to look over.

Bluemoon

First Post
Nightfall said:
Well at least I'm getting some love. (Thanks Olive!) :)

Blue, I can also tell you about some Story Hours if you want. Both Lars Frehe's "Struggle and Strife" is a great story hour set in the Scarred Lands, and Ruined One also has his. If that has any bearing I dunno but thought that might give you something to look over.

Forgive my ignorance but I am not familiar with anything outside core D&D. Don't know a thing about LARPS, White Wolf, GURPS, CCGs, miniatures and whatnot. So what's a Story Hour?

Thanks.

There are two worlds that I can give valid comment on -

- Kingdoms of Kalamar
- Midnight

KoK: As far as production quality and material is concerned, it would be difficult to go past this. I have all the primary books for it as well as a few of the modules. The presentation of the material is close to as good as it gets. However, I honestly feel I'd be doing you a savage disservice by recommending it over Midnight.

The primary flaw of KoK is that it is too open. There are too many places doing too many things. This may seem interesting on the surface but it lessens the overall feel of a campaign. It relies on a vast amount of DM input to come up with a good enough story to engage players.

Midnight: Is a very different story and deserves your immediate attention. While the Kalamar presentation is excellent, it really comes down to substance for me. What can you pick up and read and become truly inspired by? For me, Midnight was head and shoulders above in this regard and it is this aspect that I look for in a campaign sourcebook. Just reading its pages gives you a hundred and one ideas for engaging situations to throw players in.

However, it mucks around with the basic rules and that won't be to everyones liking. Look at it and post back. I have a feeling it might be what you are looking for.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Nightfall

Bluemoon said:

Forgive my ignorance but I am not familiar with anything outside core D&D. Don't know a thing about LARPS, White Wolf, GURPS, CCGs, miniatures and whatnot. So what's a Story Hour?

Thanks.

This is a story hour: Struggle and Strife

Basically it's a story version of someone's campaign. There are number here that are read but this is one that deals with a Scarred Lands campaign.

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
Bluemoon said:

What! The converted Birthright setting? I loved Brithright! It was so different and was very political/warfare driven which I liked. But I have never heard of a convertion. What is it, who distributes it, where can I get it? More info please.

Thanks.

Try this! :D

Although I should warn you that the conversion is still a-work-in-progress. Click "To the news..." (its a wee link in the middle of the page) and then read the "PLAYTEST VERSION RELEASED" thread. Other than that one could poke about the site for info too... :)

I'm thinking about a bit of Kingdoms of Kalamar + Birthright cross pollination... There is Birthright material converted for 3E that can fit into KoK. Also, KoK's setting has regions teetering on the brink of full-scale war; the Birthright domain rules and strategy material has potential too!

W, :)

Last edited:

Nightfall

Thanks Ben. :) *btw buy my book!!* ;) (Well not MY book but I helped! Wrote a few spells for Player's Guide to Wizards, Bards, and Sorcerers.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads