Best edition for new players: pick any two

amnuxoll

First Post
I know I'm getting dangerously close to an edition war but I've seen this point made in a couple different threads that many people accept and I don't agree with: "4e is a good game for new players"

While I agree that we need this game to appeal to new players (especially younger players!) AND I agree 4e was designed for that purpose, I don't agree that 4e has been particularly successful with that aim. Yes, it's easier to get started playing it, but after that it rapidly becomes almost as much of a rules morass as 2e and 3e. More to the point, I've observed that the burnout rate with 4e is much higher for new players. Luring them in is good, but you've to to keep them too.

I think the source of this high burnout rate is that there is a higher barrier to be overcome when using your imagination. In other words, if you have a unique character concept in mind, it's much harder to make a 4e version of it than it is with other editions. As a result, a new player tries out a few tropes (dual-wielding ranger, wise old wizard, fearless fighter, etc.) and then gets stymied when they try to come up with something unique. (The character builder only compounds this problem by making it hard to add custom material.) Another example is adlib in combat. 4e makes you It actually takes an experienced player to overcome this barrier and so, more new players are lost.

4e has many strengths as well (please no edition war). Some of the game mechanics are brilliant in their combination of effectiveness and simplicity. The result is that you can focus more on the game and less on the rules and I think that's a big advantage.

I just think that it has not been as successful as hoped at luring and keeping new players. Have others observed this as well?

:AMN:

DragonLancer

Adventurer
While I may not like 4th edition I can agree that it is simple enough for new players to get their heads around, so probably serves new players well in that function.

shadzar

Banned
Banned
D&D Editions for new players? 4th if they like tracking a bunch of wierd stuff with simple character design ideas. Basic if they want a real simple game to play.

for DMs? Basic.

You are asking as an entry level game not on the basis of how much fun they will have right?

Basic intro to roleplaying I think everyone should play HeroQuest board game.

For an RPG something to bring them in, won't always be the thing or have the ability to keep them. Overly simple will bore many after a while, and over complex makes it hard to get started for many...

There is a simpler way...remove all the rules from the players access, but many will likely not be happy with me furthering that suggestion.

NewJeffCT

First Post
I would say Basic D&D would be the best, as it melds the classes and races into one - you weren't an elf wizard, you were an "elf" and that meant you could use a sword & do magic.

And, I disagree on 4E. While I don't love the "feel" of the game after having grown up on 1E, Basic, 2E and 3E, I think it is very simple and very consistent. (And, yes, I know it is far from perfect in terms of consistency, but when compared to 3.5, 3E, 2E and 1E, it is more consistent)

Ron

Explorer
Basic D&D is still the golden standard to introduce new players to D&D. They can generate a simple character by generating six scores, picking a simple to understand class, generating total hit points and taking a few notes from the DM. Even playing is easy, as first level mages have a single spell to track whereas clerics have none.

D&D 4th edition is easier than third -- but then, which edition wasn't -- but still includes quite a few features to be tracked during gameplay.

JeffB

Legend
Moldvay/Cook/Marsh by far.

I'd throw out Swords & Wizardry:Whitebox as well.

Both of them:

No uneeded fluff, nor overly verbose.
Easy to grasp rules.
Simple quick character creation.
Complete enough for years of play.
Minimal cost

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases