Best edition of Gamma world?

I played a lot of 2e GW, and loved 3e. The Techno Knight on an armored mutated feline, on the 3e GW is a classic piece of TSR artwork.

7e GW, while I appreciated, how quickly one could jump into the game, felt like a one shot style game, not something that would sustain a long campaign.

Arcana of the Ancients, a Monte Cook Games product could serve as the basis of a 5e based set of rules for GW. It covers mutations and has hundreds of Techno-Magic...and for 7e GW lovers is partially written by Bruce Cordel.

Richards

Legend
I vaguely remember playing the version with the bunnies a using hunting rifles illustration.
That would be first edition, and to me that is the definitive illustration of a hoop (the humanoid bunny).

1588852866460.png

Johnathan

Retreater

Legend
I played a lot of 2e GW, and loved 3e. The Techno Knight on an armored mutated feline, on the 3e GW is a classic piece of TSR artwork.

7e GW, while I appreciated, how quickly one could jump into the game, felt like a one shot style game, not something that would sustain a long campaign.

Arcana of the Ancients, a Monte Cook Games product could serve as the basis of a 5e based set of rules for GW. It covers mutations and has hundreds of Techno-Magic...and for 7e GW lovers is partially written by Bruce Cordel.
I might be the exception, but I loved 7e GW and ran a successful "long-term" campaign with it (meaning it went on for several months and the characters reached max level). It's probably my preferred way to play using the base 4e mechanics.

atanakar

Hero
I might be the exception, but I loved 7e GW and ran a successful "long-term" campaign with it (meaning it went on for several months and the characters reached max level). It's probably my preferred way to play using the base 4e mechanics.

Totally agree. That iteration of D&D 4e works really well with Gamma World.

darjr

I crit!
I love the first edition of gamma world, largely for nostalgia reasons, but also because it was both serious and silly. Or either depending upon our needs.

The D&D 4e one is, imho, the very best version of D&D 4e and a fantastic Gamma World.

Gilladian

Adventurer
My only problem with the Gamma World version for 4e DnD was the randomly changing mutations. When we played a short campaign (I think it lasted 3 sessions), we ditched that aspect, and otherwise really enjoyed it (even though I disliked 4e D&D).

Richards

Legend
I've only ever played the first and second editions of Gamma World, but when we played we used rules from both. I'm currently running my D&D 3.5 players through Gamma Terra as a five-session story arc, using Gamma World concepts and creatures but the 3.5 rules set.

Johnathan

Remove ads