Best Epic Dungeon/Adventure

CWBush

First Post
I've tried Googling this ad nauseum but can't manage to turn up a good discussion on the topic.

I'm a guy who likes his adventures epic and his dungeons deadly. To that effect I've run Night Below (2nd ed) in the past and have never had a more fun DMing experience. Alas, it seems to be one of the few old school adventures that's never been converted completely over to 3rd or 3.5 ed.

Others I've looked at running have been AEG's World's Largest Dungeon and Rappan Athuk Reloaded.

The former has the right size and scope, but is ridiculously tedious at points and bounces from exciting region to repetitive region too often. I know you can re-arrange it to suit your tastes, but I like a complete adventure that I can run on a limited time budget in terms of preparation.

Rappan Athuk looks like the balls from what I've read and heard, but at $230 for a copy of the damned thing - it doesn't look like I'll be running it any time soon.

Bearing in mind that all three of the above are epic dungeon crawls in scope, do any of you have a recommendation for a similar vein of dungeon for me to run with my new group? They like a good hack 'n slash, but also enjoy roleplay - so a balance is ideal.

Really though, I just want to get some good discussion going on the lost art of the bad-ass dungeon crawl.

CWBush

First Post
Hmm... haven't even come across that one in my searches. Off to Google!

EDIT: Having looked it up, it's an 18th level adventure. Sounds very cool, but a little limited in terms of scope. I generally like to run from 1-20 where I can.

Summer-Knight925

First Post
bastion is epic, but not a dungeon crawl like say, the forge of fury

its a great adventure, but still

Crypt of the Devil Lich is 5 stars in my book

havnt done tomb of horrors (yet) but that to is suppose to be good

Undermountain (expedition to undermountain is the 3.5 edition) is amazing, my party just finished, kinda hard to DM tho, but really fun

Eyes of the lich queen is epic, but not really a dungeon crawl, atleast not in the same scope as undermountain, but it gets an A for epic

Into the Dragon's Lair is fun....kinda epic, but fun

Ravenloft...must I say more??

And im working on getting a copy for myself, but I hear Expedtion to the Demon Web pits is pretty good, it can work as 'part 2' to undermountain if you learn the story of undermountain (the doom halaster sees is....HER!!!)

and yeah...thats just written adventures for everyone

I once played one called "Crack the Sky" (inspired by Mastodon if anyone knows the band) where the party's wizard turned against us and took a powerful artifact to crash the elemental plane of fire into the material plane....twas epic, very epic, face meltingly epic

im working on an adventure that is..well seperate dungeon crawls making up an epic tale, it starts at 1st and I hope it takes them to 20th, the idea is to run a campaign with thta idea

and as for bad-ass crawls?
I miss them too
I liked when you went to kick in the door, and it was trapped, when the beholder was actually an illusion and the bigger threat was unseen
when the dragon was with his horde and you adventured for gold, your quest? TO GET RICH

also, an idea i just had is there is an earthquake which opens up an entrance to a cavern, rumors say in this cavern lies an ancient tomb

CAN THE PARTY BRAVE THE DARK DEPTHS, OR WILL THEY PERISH WITHIN THE HALLS LIKE SO MANY BEFORE THEM?
an advneture for X level characters

Last edited:

Angelus789

First Post
IMHO 2nd Ed had a much better selection of epic dungeons and adventures than 3.5ed. Haven't played 4th Ed, so can't say anything about that.

Adventures
The Apocalypse Stone
Die Vecna, Die
Stardock

Dungeons
The Labyrinth of Madness
Dragon Mountain
The whole Undermountain setting

CWBush

First Post
I had always daydreamed about running The Apocalypse Stone after finishing Night Below, but we all graduated and went out separate ways about four weeks worth of gaming away from finishing the pretty epic Dungeon Crawl.

I would kill for Rappan Athuk Reloaded. I've read about half of it on my Kindle and it just sounds bad-ass.

Inspired to just create one of my own...

Remove ads