• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best expansion for Settlers of Catan?

Which is the best expansion for Settlers?

• Seafarers!

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Cities and Knights!

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Traders and Barbarians!

Votes: 0 0.0%

robotsinmyhead

First Post
If you get them in some sort of order, definitely start with Cities and Knights. In my opinion, it adds the most interplay. Aadd in the 5-6 player extension for it and the base game and it really takes off.

Seafarers is more of a mini-expansion and doesn't make any serious game-changing play, but it's a nice addition either way.

Traders and Barbarians is more of a scenario add-on and doesn't mix as well with the other two, but is fun nonetheless.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Seafarers is my favourite by a long way. Its main bonus to to make sheep a lot more useful, so that the resources balance out more. And it has a number of scenarios in it to widen the game experience.

Cities & Knights is a game-changing expansion. It ramps up the complexity a lot, adding three new resources (commodities), technologies, a bunch of new cards, and requiring you to protect your cities from barbarian invasions. I haven't found it that great. In my opinion, it detracts from the chief point of Catan: trading. With eight things to trade rather than five, it's just that much harder.

Cheers!

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Seafarers is my favourite by a long way. Its main bonus to to make sheep a lot more useful, so that the resources balance out more. And it has a number of scenarios in it to widen the game experience.

Cities & Knights is a game-changing expansion. It ramps up the complexity a lot, adding three new resources (commodities), technologies, a bunch of new cards, and requiring you to protect your cities from barbarian invasions. I haven't found it that great. In my opinion, it detracts from the chief point of Catan: trading. With eight things to trade rather than five, it's just that much harder.

QfT. While Seafarers extends the game, C&K changes it into a new game. Trading is actually reduced, thus increasing the danger of being left behind early on. And a round of C&K takes so much longer, without any new quality, just adding MotS, instead.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Thanks, that is useful advice.

Since I mostly play with my children (8 & 6), I think that Seafarers sounds like the better expansion to go for at the moment.

Holy Bovine

First Post

Cheers!

MerricB has the right of it. If you enjoy the gameplay of Settlers for what it is (a trading game) C&K will alter that almost to the point of it being a completely new game. I've played with C&K a few times and did not care for what it did to the game. Overly long and complex it ground on for over 2 hours after we got the 'practice rounds' out of the way to learn the new rules. That shocked us as Settlers is one of those games we finish in 1 hour maybe 90 minutes tops.

Seafarers and the 5-6 players expansions are all we use now. They work beautifully together and give us plenty of options and 'replayability'.

dreamchaser214

First Post
I also like the Seafarers' expansion. It's not that complex and it have wider range of strategies that players can pursue. I think the game plays best with only 3-4 people. The Cities & Knights expansion is good too, but makes the game much longer more complicated. I've just finished a game with my bro yesterday..haha. :)

Remove ads