• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best/Favorite Thin RPG Core Book

Reynard

Legend
What is your favorite "thin" RPG core rules? That is, core rules in fewer pages than a big fat hardcover (or three!)?

I think RPG core rulebooks are entirely too long. I think you could do even modern D&D in 100 pages, tops, if you wanted to (just as an example). I want to try something new but every time I look at how big even "light" games have gotten I just throw up my hands and shake my head. Never mind trying to get into Warhammer or Symbaroum.

But I am guessing "thin" games still exist even if I don't know about them -- so recommend me one! Any genre or rules system.

NOTE: It does not count if you propose a 300 page book but with the caveat "the rules are in the first 30 pages." No. That's not what I want.

Sacrosanct

Legend
What is your favorite "thin" RPG core rules? That is, core rules in fewer pages than a big fat hardcover (or three!)?

I think RPG core rulebooks are entirely too long. I think you could do even modern D&D in 100 pages, tops, if you wanted to (just as an example). I want to try something new but every time I look at how big even "light" games have gotten I just throw up my hands and shake my head. Never mind trying to get into Warhammer or Symbaroum.

But I am guessing "thin" games still exist even if I don't know about them -- so recommend me one! Any genre or rules system.

NOTE: It does not count if you propose a 300 page book but with the caveat "the rules are in the first 30 pages." No. That's not what I want.
Well, B/X is my favorite, but if you want other more modern iterations, the basic version of Chromatic Dungeons is 88 pages, and the (very recent) announcement for Bugbears and Borderlands is 142 pages (I could easily do 100 pages if I went with traditional smaller font and omitted the appendices). B&B is a 5e streamlined version, so I guess you could say I agree with you, you can do modern D&D in 100 pages ;)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
1 page RPGs are cool -- Lasers & Feelings is inspired -- but that's not really what I am aiming at.
So you're looking more for a D&D like "fantasy heartbreaker" that clocks in at under 100 pages? I know some of those exist, but they would generally exclude a bestiary.

A D&D-type game that didn't use spells (maybe some kind of freeform magic instead) would be pretty easy to squeeze into a hundred pages.

Reynard

Legend
So you're looking more for a D&D like "fantasy heartbreaker" that clocks in at under 100 pages? I know some of those exist, but they would generally exclude a bestiary.

A D&D-type game that didn't use spells (maybe some kind of freeform magic instead) would be pretty easy to squeeze into a hundred pages.
Any thin RPG book, not just a fantasy heartbreaker. I am curious who is making games in reasonable sizes.

Remove ads