Best Five RPG Books You Own

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
There's an interesting mix of old and new in this thread. I wonder, if some of the original posters that are no longer around who chose some very early 3.x era books, what they might choose to replace the old ones with that are in the same vein?

Votan

Explorer
There's an interesting mix of old and new in this thread. I wonder, if some of the original posters that are no longer around who chose some very early 3.x era books, what they might choose to replace the old ones with that are in the same vein?

I sus[pect that there will always be a bais towards newer items -- because they have novel ideas, are more frequently used (thus remembered) and, due to the rules of the OP, are more likely to be owned. Some of the stuff in the 1st edition DMG, to name one example, is extremely well thought out advice, but the book is out of print and not trivial to turn up.

Greg K

Legend

Well, I know my list really wouldn't have changed much. The only changes that I would make are probably moving the Shaman's Handbook and Witch's Handbook up from honorable mention to the list of choices to select from to round out my top five and added both Savage Worlds and Thrilling Tales 2e to my list of honorable mentions.

ProtoClone

First Post
Hm, good call. One of my most treasured RPG possessions, that's for sure. Just don't know if it'll be my fifth. . .

Which one in particular? There are three, at least, that spring to mind.

The most recent Changeling book...Changeling: The Lost (Have not brought them out in a while so I am fuzzy on the exact name. I picked the base Changeling book because I didn't want to use up my five picks for all of the books in that series.

Or do you mean CoC: DL? I have "The Complete Dreamlands".

Last edited:

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
Top 5, eh? Way easier than top 10 (the core 3/SRD notwithstanding):

Ptolus
Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved
Draconomicon
Complete Book of Eldritch Might
Libris Mortis

These are the books I've found most inspirational or never once thought "I can't believe I spent on this!"

JediSoth

Thread necromancy aside, It's interesting to see how my list has changed in the 2.5 years since my original post. My top 5 has shifted now, to

Ptolus
Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved
Pathfinder RPG
Shadowrun 4E
Eclipse Phase
with Honorable Mentions going to Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader.

Falstaff

First Post
Cool thread.

Best five RPG books I own:

Mouse Guard
Aces & Eights
AD&D First Edition DMG
Artesia: Adventures in the Known World
HackMaster Basic

Hstio

First Post
My top five:

1) Midnight 2nd Edition. I've gotten more use and enjoyment out of this book then any other in almost 30 years.

2) Ptolus. I was blown away at the quality, layout, just about everything. How to do a book if you have the budget.

3) Greyhawk from the Ashes. Greyhawk goes to war and it's nasty. I loved the Greyhawk setting and grew up with. I'd still play a game there anytime.

4) Fading Suns 2nd Edition. There's something about the setting that just grabs me. I finally tracked down the last book I was missing recently.

5) Iron Kingdoms World Guide (any Iron Kingdoms really). Fabulous, atmospheric, great writing, layout, etc.

Hstio

Ahnehnois

First Post
3.5 Core - Well duh.

Unearthed Arcana - So many options, you can't not find some you like.

Complete Adventurer - By far the best of the complete books, with classes and feats that me and my players use regularly. I've never seen a better overall collection of prestige classes-things that should be prestige classes, are generic and usable in most games, aren't stupid in concept, and are well-balanced. Also dug an organization out of the back that I'm now using.

Libris Mortis - Currently running undead-heavy campaign. Couldn't have asked for a better selection of monsters and things to do with them.

Call of Cthulhu d20 - Besides having run a couple short games, this rules-lite book gave me tons of inspiration for storybuilding in general.

I've since captialized on the post-4e bonanza of cheap rpg stuff and found several gems (often from ENW threads I might add). I like some of my original choices though:

*Call of Cthulhu d20 - Still a great game and a beautiful book.

*Magic Item Compendium - Possible the single most useful, time-saving 3e book there is.

*Unearthed Arcana-Not just the rules (which are necessarily a mixed bag) but the mentality that goes with them.

*Libris Mortis-Still the most inspirational monster-related book I've read. Still using it a lot.

*Psychic's Handbook-Short of writing my own system, this is the best treatment of psionics I can imagine.

PoeticJustice

First Post
1) Dread.

2) DMG 3.5

3) PARANOIA

4) Eberron Campaign Setting

5) Libris Mortis

Honorable Mentions (or, Books that are really good but I haven't actually used them yet)

1) Og: Unearthed Edition

2) Dogs in the Vineyard

3) Forgotten Realms Grey Box

Dread gets the top spot because, bar none, it is the best RPG ever written. By stripping away the trappings of your typical RPG, Dread accomplishes what no other game has: it is a true storytelling game. The system is designed for horror, but its versatility is such that a GM could run about anything and make it work.

DMG 3.5 is an amazing work. I feel inspired to generate material just by looking at the art. The text itself accomplishes the weighty task of making 3.5 manageable to a new DM (insomuch as that is possible, anyway).

PARANOIA is one of those games that can be very challenging to run, but the payoff is so worth it. The rules are so tongue-in-cheek and the art and pulled quotes are so buttery and hilarious that one forgets they are reading the rules to a game.

Eberron and Libris Mortis are the two best supplements for the 3.5 era. Obviously a great deal of work went into the creation of them, and it would be a shame for me not to recognize them when they've given me so much inspiration.

Remove ads