• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best GAMES AROUND! (NOT D20/4e, White Wolf or Cthulhu)

As in the title...

I'm curious about exploring "other" games beyond the "big three" of D20/4e*, White Wolf**, and Call of Cthulhu***. Games people think are fantastic.

*by D20/4e I mean to include all D&D and all of the D20 derivatives that came out during the 3e OGL era. If a game, e.g. such as Kult use a D20, that's just fine to mention.

**Here I mean World of Darkness, all editions...if White Wolf publishes something beyond this that you think is great, please share.

***I'm including all Call of Cthulhu under one umbrella here, including Cthulhu Dark ages and Delta Green and Gumshoe.

Last edited:

Baumi

Adventurer
I can recommend SAVAGE WORLDS. It's cheap (10 Bucks), complete (including Mass Fights, Vehicles, etc.) and it has a massive ammount of support (Plot-Point Campaignbooks rock!). :cool:

And obviously it's Fast, Furious and FUN! ;)

The new Warhammer 3E has also a very interesting system, since it combines the RPG with elements of board-games (special dice, markers, Power-Cards, etc.) to make it easier and more fun.

There are many, many more good games out there like 3:16, Doctor Who, Dragon Age, etc. but the two above are the RPG's that interests me at most at the moment (besides DnD).

Ahnehnois

First Post
I'm a fan of the BSG rpg, and by extension the cortex system used for several other licensed games (Serenity, for instance) and published in generic form. It's quite different from D20, but very conducive to drama, and the rules encourage more player/DM interplay.

utopia27

First Post
Hero System - once you understand it, it'll change your outlook permanently

Amber Diceless - you want light-weight? this is the definition

Star Wars Saga - everything 4e failed to be

I'll just list some of the also-rans that I can't recommend: Tri-Stat, d6 (good settings <meh> system, Millenium's End, Fudge, Mutants & Masterminds (Hero wannabe), DC Heroes, Traveller (though OLD SCHOOL)

Thanks for all the suggestions so far (and I'd give out more xp, but I've run out today. :( )

Keep em coming! I'm looking them up as people post, and some of these are fantastic!

ProtoClone

First Post
Not sure a specific edition of Paranoia is preferred...haven't played it in years. But the atmosphere of the game is what is important.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads