• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best GAMES AROUND! (NOT D20/4e, White Wolf or Cthulhu)

Wolf1066

First Post
You've just sketched much of the last five years of my Traveller game. Long time since I paid the slightest attention to the Third Imperium, in part because Traveller encourages/ makes it easy to move on/ around.

The Treasure game I'm in is much the same on the rapid re-design front. Several Traveller implants on syndicates, corruption and cartels have taken grip in the story and new races, locations, items, politics . . . slot into subtables, encounter tables and gameplay, pretty much on the fly.

It's almost a self-ordering if a system's modular enough. And made to be patched/ hacked so a quick copy-paste gives you a template.
Would love to play in your game, then - sadly, I can't afford the bus fares.

For my game, I want to bring in multiple levels of "Old Ones" - kind of like how the Slavers pre-date the Pak in Niven's Known space. Stick with there being some "ancients" responsible for seeding the planets with Terran DNA and creating the Vargr, but also have signs of something even older that died out long before the "Ancients" embarked on their world-shaping missions.

I also want huge artifacts lurking around like a Ringworld and something very like Joho Varley's "Titan", mayhap something like Rama. And existing old races that have all the cool tech but the price they are asking for it is horrific so very few races have the stuff.

An "early days" scenario would have plenty of scope for Fireflyesque colony worlds where they have high TL available but most the colonists don't have access to it (rather than post-collapse barbarians trying to come to terms with rediscovery and all the tech in the hands of missionaries and other off-worlders).

The idea of Earth being low tech by comparison with the other worlds and terrestrial humans wandering about other worlds in awe appeals to me, so I was thinking of having them discovered by a Vilani ship that misjumps into our solar system (rather than developing FTL on their own). In fact, the arrival of the Vilani could well be the salvation of an Earth about to collapse due to overuse of resources. (Brought back from the brink by cheap energy technology supplied by the Vilani).

Plenty of scope for assumptions and mistakes and revelations in the course of discovery.

And the great thing about Traveller is that all of that is sooooo easy to do. Planets, solar systems, varying technology, creating new races - its all there. You can play any space opera from Firefly to Star Trek to the Foundation Trilogy.

There's that evil streak in me that makes me want to incorporate the combat/wounding system from FNFF2013 like a previous GM did - that made it a lot of fun...

Deepfire

First Post
Rolemaster Classic: I know it gets a lot of flak for its high leathality and charts but it can be a very fun system and if the players actually know what they're doing and how leathal combat is, it can be very role playing intensive.

Seconded! Great game in all it's versions - much much better than people who never played it think it is.

RandomCitizenX

First Post
can I just say 7th Sea and Adventure! about 50 times each?

7th Sea is currently my favorite game of all time for both setting and mechanics, it is a shame that the line was killed with Swashbuckling Adventures dual stated as the final testament.

Danger Patrol has certainly piqued my interest after glancing at the beta rules.

dm4hire

Explorer
I'm liking the look of Danger Patrol also and fully agree with 7th Sea. Given it's popularity I've often wondered why AEG doesn't revive it. After all they did a whole self contained book for LBS why not just do that with 7th?

karlindel

First Post
Two of my personal favorites, which I have played several times and am always happy to play again:

Deadlands - An excellent setting, the weird west, which is basically an alternate timeline wild west that includes magic, steampunk technology, and strong horror elements. The original system has a lot of flavorful elements built into it, such as the use of poker chips as "Fate Chips" to improve die rolls, cards for initiative, and drawing poker hands to create mad science gizmos and for some spellcasters to cast spells. Character creation also involved drawing cards to determine stats. The Savage Worlds system grew out of the original Deadlands system, and Deadlands Reloaded uses the Savage Worlds system.

Fading Suns - One of my favorite settings. The system has some flaws, but works decently well. It has been described as similar to Dune, or the Byzantine Empire in space. There was a Republic a long time ago that fell and has been replaced by a feudal empire. There are remnants of ancient technology, but the technology for the average citizen is largely medieval. There are three major power groups (the church, the nobles, and the merchants). The Church has a number of different sects with varied focuses, and access to divine magic, and are generally opposed to technology. There are several noble houses with their own domains and cultures. There are a number of guilds that each have their specialty. Spaceships can travel from star system to star system using Jump Gates that instantaneously transport to certain other Jump Gates when the proper key is used. The Jump Gates are remnants of technology from an ancient alien race, and no one has ever understood how they work, only the basics of how to use them. There are a few sentient alien races. Psionics also exists.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying 2E -- it is all about the world and the atmosphere, rich setting and grim. Rule set much improved over 1E and flexable.

C_M2008

First Post
I have to say Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3e (the new one).
The new dice pool (simple & intuitive!) and the talents, party sheets and fortune point mechanic are all brilliant and well executed. Now if only the rulebook wasn't so poorly organized.......

I'll also say DragonLance 5th age(the system had a name but I forget) Loved the core mechanic and especially the free-form spellcasting, a shame it never caught on.

dm4hire

Explorer
I have to say Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3e (the new one).
The new dice pool (simple & intuitive!) and the talents, party sheets and fortune point mechanic are all brilliant and well executed. Now if only the rulebook wasn't so poorly organized.......

I'll also say DragonLance 5th age(the system had a name but I forget) Loved the core mechanic and especially the free-form spellcasting, a shame it never caught on.

You referring to SAGA? The card based version of Dragonlance?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads