Best GMing Advice you've ever gotten

What's the best GM advice you've ever gotten

• It's a social interaction first. You're friends. Be friendly

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • You are the referee and story teller, it is not GM vs Player.

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Be fair and transparent. Players know if you fudge dice to keep your personal fav NPC alive

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Don't worry about memorizing the rules. Make a ruling to keep the game going and look it up later

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • It's your game world. Work with the players when possible, but don't let your fun be overridden

• Let the players form the game world

• No reasonable request should ever be unreasonably declined.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Session 0 isn't just to make PCs. Set the ground rules and identify players who might not be a fit

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • Keep your campaign outline form only (simple). Too complex, and you risk railroading YOUR story

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Allow yourself to make mistakes

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Show, don't tell ("a pool of ebony viscous liquid" vs "there's a black pudding there")

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • All challenges must have risk. A risk-free challenge should be narrated.

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • GM because YOU want to, not because everyone else does

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • If you're changing a rule, get table agreement

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 9 19.1%

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Runner up: The GM's job is to create situations, and the players' job is to have their characters figure them out.

Winner: If there is a problem, talk about it at the table. There are no awards out for most in-character performance at a gaming session.

aramis erak

Legend
"Get a table agreement"?! Ha!! We can't even agree on a start time!

The best GM advice I've ever gotten was from Wil Wheaton: "Don't be a dick." I wish that option had been added to the list.
I got it from Luke Crane, rather than Wil Wheaton. It usually works quite well...

However... sometimes one needs to be in character as an asinine NPC...

Makes me think of Kenny Rogers' The Gamler...

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The best DO advice:

"Be fair and neutral in setting up situations and then let the dice fall where they may."
"If they want to spend time playing through minutae or chasing red herrings, let them. There's no rush."
"If they want to fight each other, let them - as long as it stays in-character."
"Never interrupt an in-character conversation unless the game state forces you to."
"Learn how to hit the curveballs they'll throw."
"Adhere to precedent."
"Make the setting believable, lasting, and consistent with itself as a real place the characters inhabit."

The best DON'T advice:

"Don't show favouritism to any player or character."
"Don't complain when the players throw you a curveball, as their doing so shows engagement."
"Don't make a ruling you're not prepared to live with for the duration of the campaign."
"Don't lock in your story or prep, keep it malleable to account for what happens in play."

Remove ads