Best modules to teach player skill

Witty Comeback

First Post
What are some of the Basic modules, or intro level AD&D modules, that give the best training in 'Gygaxian' skills? That is, what low level modules would best prepare novice players to survive the tricks and traps used in the later modules?

Cyronax

Explorer
I say Rahasia - B7. It involves a complex battle environment, a fight with dominated elves, and the release of an evil force into the world if the PCs fail.

C.I.D.

N4 Treasure Hunt

The PCs are thrown into a survival situation as normal people and must use thier wits to get out alive because they don't even have a character class, let alone powers to rely on.

Nothing is better at teaching people to approach problems as regular people than letting them play regular people. :D

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Well, first thing I'd say is that if you want "Gygaxian," you must go with module written by Gygax.

B2 Keep on the Borderlands

T1 Village of Hommlet

Bullgrit

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Well, first thing I'd say is that if you want "Gygaxian," you must go with module written by Gygax.

B2 Keep on the Borderlands

T1 Village of Hommlet

Bullgrit
B2 Keep on the Borderlands would be my choice for it as well.
Can be as simple or complex as you like.

Witty Comeback

First Post
N4 Treasure Hunt

The PCs are thrown into a survival situation as normal people and must use thier wits to get out alive because they don't even have a character class, let alone powers to rely on.

Nothing is better at teaching people to approach problems as regular people than letting them play regular people. :D

Not that I'm some expert or something, but I've never even heard of this; I thought that I was at least passingly familiar with most older modules. Maybe I can look this one up. Thanks.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Witty Comeback said:
Alright, let's take B2: what are the skills that PCs are "supposed to learn" in the Caves of Chaos?
I don't know. You asked for "Gygaxian" style, and B2 (and T1) is a classic Gygax module. If there is anything to learn about Gygaxian style, playing through a Gygax module will teach it.

Bullgrit

Aurumvorax

First Post
Alright, let's take B2: what are the skills that PCs are "supposed to learn" in the Caves of Chaos?

"Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to explore it." B2 cannot be completed by a level 1 party in a single go-through. It just can't unless Lady Luck calls you "son" and lives in your house. There are too many monsters, traps, and situatios that can outright kill the entire party. The DM is encouraged to use wandering monsters and some areas will replenish when you leave them so if you tried to camp outside you'll likely be ambushed.

I'd say about the time you start encountering bug bears, you should definitely leave the caves and explore the wilderness (there are several worthwhile encounters there) to gain power and treasure. Once you hit level 2 or 3, it's time to go back into the caves and finish it off.

My favorite "beginner" module is X1 Isle of Dread (written by my fave designer Zeb Cook). It was the first module to really explore Mystara (even contains a big ass map) and it teaches the players about exploration and navigation. Sometimes you'll encounter friendly (but seemingly hostile) species and other times you'll encounter creatures waaaay over the PCs heads which teaches them "Just because the DM put it before you doesn't mean you can kill it." Of course, the DM shouldn't put them in a situation where they have no chance in hell of winning but I never liked the concept of CR and ECL because it leads to PC assumption that "Oh, it's an encounter so it must be within +/- 1 or 2 CR. We can take that!" I've played with DMs that go beyond that but it usually leads to horrible deaths because it's much more difficult to escape in 3E than it is in AD&D.

Remove ads