D&D 5E Best MultiClass character build? Why?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Human variant Rogue (Scout) 13/ Bard (Lore) 6/ Cleric (Knowledge) 1.
  • You have proficiency in All skills, so Reliable Talent will apply to every ability (skill) check you make.
  • You have expertise in 11 of the 18 skills (4 rogue + 2 scout + 2 knowledge cleric + 2 bard + 1 prodigy), or choose it in thieves' tools, kits, etc., so pick most of the things you want to be AWESOME at with +12 just from expertise/ proficiency alone! Nothing like a lot of minimum 22 ability (skill) checks. ;)
  • You have 4th level spell slots for upcasting Cleric or Bard spells.
  • You have respectable sneak attack damage at 6d6.
  • You have 6 ASI/feats (Human, Rogue 4, 8, 10, 12, Bard 4) for bumping ability scores and/or choosing your favorite feats.

If you want darkvision, Half-Elf with two skills is a good choice for race as well.
You can also drop the 13th level in rogue to pick up 4th level bard spells.

In general, lots of options with this build and you can get proficiency in all skills by level 7 if you want.

So, ultimate skill monkey build IMO.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Cleric warlock with variant human.

get some armor, smite, have some extra spells...

I have a war cleric 1, celestial patron bladelock 7. Potent. Plate, pole arm master means more chances to smite. I have landed a bunch and some as crits...

great combo.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Human variant Rogue (Scout) 13/ Bard (Lore) 6/ Cleric (Knowledge) 1.
  • You have proficiency in All skills, so Reliable Talent will apply to every ability (skill) check you make.
  • You have expertise in 11 of the 18 skills (4 rogue + 2 scout + 2 knowledge cleric + 2 bard + 1 prodigy), or choose it in thieves' tools, kits, etc., so pick most of the things you want to be AWESOME at with +12 just from expertise/ proficiency alone! Nothing like a lot of minimum 22 ability (skill) checks. ;)
  • You have 4th level spell slots for upcasting Cleric or Bard spells.
  • You have respectable sneak attack damage at 6d6.
  • You have 6 ASI/feats (Human, Rogue 4, 8, 10, 12, Bard 4) for bumping ability scores and/or choosing your favorite feats.

If you want darkvision, Half-Elf with two skills is a good choice for race as well.
You can also drop the 13th level in rogue to pick up 4th level bard spells.

In general, lots of options with this build and you can get proficiency in all skills by level 7 if you want.

So, ultimate skill monkey build IMO.
Also Jack of All Trades will give you half your proficiency bonus on any ability checks to which no skill applies. Such as generic strength checks to break stuff, checks with tool proficiencies, and Initiative.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Right now I'm playing an Eladrin Swashbuckler/Draconic Sorcerer. It's been working out very well. Booming Blade and Green Flame pair very well with Rogues because they do not have extra attacks.

The build really excels at delivering damage where it's needed due to its high mobility and has strong nova potential. It is decently squishy, but Shield helps a lot

You are basically Nightcrawler.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Gloom Stalker Ranger 5 (Archery Style), Rogue Assassin 1-15. Wood Elf, with Elven Accuracy.

What I've always wanted to play is a Shadow Monk/Rogue (not sure of subclass), but somehow have never gotten around to it.

If the DM is even slightly permissive with opportunity for assassinate - this gets nasty very fast!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My current favorite is a Rogue Swashbuckler/Wizard Bladesinger, though an Artificer Battlesmith could sub in for the Rogue and have even more synergy.

I'm also fond of Monk multiclass builds, especially a Shadow Monk/Gloomstalker Ranger, any combination of Open Hand or Drunken Master Monk or Kensei Monk with Battlemaster Fighter or Swashbuckler Rogue, and Monk (any) with Moon Druid for a dope as hell spin kicking wolf or like a literal crane that stun-punches people.

Also, eventually you can Call Lightning, turn into a decent-hp critter, and go punch the crap outta stuff.

Paladin/Rogue is really fun. Start rogue, because skills are more important than better armor and rapier is the only weapon you need, and split levels pretty evenly, and have a ball. Vengeance paladin probably gets the most out of this pairing, but IME Ancients is the most fun of the paladin oaths. Obviously you want swashbuckler. High Dex, high Cha, always go high in the order, never get locked down, do big crits, have all the skills. What's not to like?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Best also depends on what you want to be best at. Healing, Tanking, skills?

I'll leave it to you guys to tell me what "Best" means to you. For me, I don't care, I just want cool MC characters.

One of the "best" martial builds out there is the paladin/hexplade.

Pros:
Much better range capability than a straight paladin (paladins are usually melee beasts but lousy at range)

Can focus on Charisma for everything resolving one of the paladin's biggest issues (MAD) - Also means early ASIs can go to Charisma to get it up fast.

Access to the shield spell (so can have boost to an AC of 25-26 without any magic 27-28 if you really need it)
Access to the booming blade cantrip - great for a tanking build

Crit on 19-20, opening up all sorts of possibilities (oath of vengeance, elven accuracy, polearm master, for ridiculous crit fishing - which you then use smite)

Only need 1 level of hexblade to unlock the good benefits

probably more that I'm missing

Cons:
Slightly less HPs (though not much, 1 level of hexblade is 1 less HP than a level of paladin)

Delayed access to paladin abilities (biggest one would be the 6th level aura, the paladin biggie )

Delayed access to ASI or feat (by at least 1 level)

Less lay on hands (5 HP loss per hexbalde level, but you only really need 1)

If your DM is a RP stickler you now have an oath and a patron to deal with

Can be considered "cheesy" because it's such a common MC go-to.

As for progression - 1. Paladin 2. Hexblade 3+ paladin unless you feel like throwing in another level of hexblade (then go to 3 eventually for some spell and invocation benefits.

Oh yes, I have heard of Paladin Hexlock combo. Sounds nasty. And you can be the party face also, so you get to participate in social situations as well... Nice!

Last edited:

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Eloquent bard with single-level dip in order cleric it's probably the best way to capitalize on somebody else's high damage output. Where do you add that means you can use tandem tactics as well.

I googled the phrase "tandem tactics" as I am unfamiliar with it and it gave me this thread lol. Can you explain the phrase?

Last edited:

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Whatever is the most fun for you is the best.

Yes. So far I have found single classes the most fun for me. I'm ready to branch out, and really have no idea what to do first. I don't play enough to try a whole bunch of different characters. Nor do I want to do a ton of research. So I'm looking to my expanded "friend" group here on EnWorld for recs.

Remove ads