• Commander

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • Warden

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • Sentinel

Votes: 0 0.0%

Tony Vargas

Legend
which precludes any relevance of a “XYZ would like a word” reply.
Also, like "fixed that for you" and " called, they want their back," not nearly as clever as they seem to think.

Might as well do a Russian Reversal: "In America, the Captain has authority. In Soviet Russia, authorities captain YOU!"

I thought that "Captain" at least had the benefit of being more ambiguous towards the relative social position of the person vs. alternatives like "Commander" and "Warlord", and does at least sometimes apply to someone who is leading only nominally and by consent. But it does seem firmly entrenched in some people's minds as a ship's captain, and I can hardly complain about this when my own issue with "Marshal" is that it immediately makes me think of a military rank above general (well, that and an old west lawman).
Any military rank is going to imply legitimate authority, superior social position, and the role of literally leading the party & giving other PCs (and players) commands they 'must' follow. None of which is desirable. Non-military uses of Captain, like a ship's captain, carry most of the same issues, and even the very tenuous metaphorical "Captain of Industry" implies superior social position and top-level accomplishment in the field.

Warlord, though, all it actually implies is pulling an armed band together and, generally, seizing territory. There's no implication of legitimate authority - quite the opposite, there's a clear assumption that such authority is absent or that the warlord defies it - no requirement of social or heirarchical position, nor even superior accomplishment. Why allies rally around the warlord is not part of the definition. He could be a bully, he could be a hereditary tribal leader, he could be paying mercenaries, he could be charismatic, he could be convenient a figurehead for a spontaneous uprising he was caught up in, and still fit most of the definitions out there.

And that is, of course, on the assumption that definition matters to the name of a D&D class something Sorcerer* stands as a stark counter-example to.

Perhaps "Banneret"
Already in use as a non-Cormyrian PDK.

Tactician?
Was already a build (sub-class) of the original Warlord. Would be too narrow.

How about Accomplice?
Strategist?
Accomplice is amusing... Get the Accomplice together with the Mastermind and the Thief....
...is there a Thug yet...?

...plus, you could be an Accomplice with the Criminal Background. That's kinda ask'n for it. ;)
...not that "I'm a Criminal Mastermind" isn't already pretty cute.

* pet peeve of mine: the actual definitions of sorcerer that are more specific than mere synonyms for mage or wizard or witch specifically denote gaining magical power from (evil) spirits. The whole innate power from a bloodline thing being a sorcerer is an accident of the class's development in D&D. (And my annoyance extends to the use of the suffix -mancy which denotes 'divination by' not conjuration and/or control of.)

sorcery
1 : the use of power gained from the assistance or control of evil spirits especially for divining

-mancy
:
divination
History and Etymology for -mancy Middle French -mancie, from Latin -mantia, from Greek -manteia, from manteia, from mantis diviner, prophet

Last edited:

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
How is “leader” a valid concept for a class? Why is this thread about finding a name for a “leader” class that doesn’t imply authority, legitimate or otherwise. It seems like a flawed premise.

I think the only type of “leader” that fits with the concept of this class is yell-leader or cheer-leader, but I realize that’s treading on bard territory the same way drum major would.

I think the best name/concept to go forward with this class is standard bearer. I realize this is similar to banneret, but I feel that name is too narrow with its specific implications of heraldry, social class, etc.

Last edited:

Hurin70

Adventurer
The Standard Bearer generally didn't fight -- because he had to hold the standard. This is for example what Joan of Arc did. So the term might fit the Lazylord, but it doesn't fit the Bravura Lord. Also, the standard bearer was subordinate to the actual leader, who ultimtely called the shots. The only officer whose role was specifically to deploy the troops, issue them marching orders, and generally direct the army was the Marshal. That's why we still use the word Marshall in this sense today: he 'marshalled' his troops.

Last edited:

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
The Standar Bearer generally didn't fight -- because he had to hold the standard. So the term might fit the Lazylord, but it doesn't fit the Bravura Lord. Also, the standard bearer was subordinate to the actual leader, who ultimtely called the shots. The only officer whose role was specifically to deploy the troops, issue them marching orders, and generally direct the army was the Marshal. That's why we still use the word Marshall in this sense today: he 'marshalled' his troops.
Umm, okay, but a D&D party typically deploys and directs themselves and doesn’t take “marching orders” from anyone. I think this is a really flawed premise for a class. It shouldn’t be one member of the party’s job to give orders to the other members. It’s definitely not a class I would want to play with in my party.

Hurin70

Adventurer
@Hriston: yes, i understand what you are saying, and the class may not be for everyone's group. I personally find though that other players are far less likely to dislike the leader shouting out 'orders' when those 'orders' consist of things like taking extra saves, movement, and attacks. And of course you can always disobey those 'orders' if you like.

Remove ads