• Warden

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • Sentinel

Votes: 0 0.0%

Laurefindel

Legend
Marshal is winning. Interesting.
I'm not surprised

A Herald announces someone else; not a leader. Same with Harbinger (not on the list but often used in fantasy).
A Banneret is the son/descendant of a knight (who may not even be a warrior); too narrow and associated nobility. Can equally be a leader or a brat.
A Captain can be translated by "head man" (well, kind of). I could see that one work
A Warlord, 4e baggage aside, fits for leading an army (one bigger than a 4-adventurer party) and connotes warmongering. Still, it could work.
A Marshal is a term associated with horses but in the modern sense it's a military leader. Fitting.
A Mark is some kind of chamberlain or seneschal right? Like Kay in Arthurian Legends? Could work, but implies a more sedentary lifestyle, and implies vassalship to a liege.
A Commander is someone who commands. A bit "in-your-face!", but it works.
A Warden protects a ward. It doesn't really implies leadership, and isn't neutral on the defense/offence scale (for what its worth...)
A Sentinel is also someone who watches or stands guard. Again, doesn't scream leadership, and is closely associated with a place/person, a particular enemy, or a region/nation.

So in all those terms, Captain, Warlord, Commander could work for a leader-type class, but Marshal stands as the best term for someone who is called to lead either small or large groups, and has a military connotation. Captain is close behind IMO.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I'm not surprised

A Herald announces someone else; not a leader. Same with Harbinger (not on the list but often used in fantasy).
A Banneret is the son/descendant of a knight (who may not even be a warrior); too narrow and associated nobility. Can equally be a leader or a brat.
A Captain can be translated by "head man" (well, kind of). I could see that one work
A Warlord, 4e baggage aside, fits for leading an army (one bigger than a 4-adventurer party) and connotes warmongering. Still, it could work.
A Marshal is associated with horses but in the modern sense it's a military leader. Fitting.
A Mark is some kind of chamberlain or seneschal right? Like Kay in Arthurian Legends? Could work, but implies a more sedentary lifestyle, and implies vassalship to a liege.
A Commander is someone who commands. A bit "in-your-face!", but it works.
A Warden protects a ward. It doesn't really implies leadership, and isn't neutral on the defense/offence scale (for what its worth...)
A Sentinel is also someone who watches or stands guard. Again, doesn't scream leadership, and is closely associated with a place/person, a particular enemy, or a region/nation.

So in all those terms, Captain, Warlord, Commander could work for a leader-type class, but Marshal stands as the best term for someone who is called to lead either small or large groups, and has a military connotation. Captain is close behind IMO.

I really like your analysis:)

Banneret however is a Knight who leads troops under his own Banner, he ranks above a Knight Bachelor (who fights under anothers Banner) but is NOT of Noble Rank (an Earl or Duke). Banneretti is distinct from Baronetti (the son of a Baron)

Last edited:

Coroc

Hero
Let's just brainstorm it with random titles! Don't stop to doubt them, just spam some names, here's a few random ones I compiled looking up various piles of synonyms and wiki articles:

Warchief
Chief
Strategist
Lancer
Zhanshi
Torchbearer
Flagbearer
Standardbearer
Steward
Cornet
Fähnrich
Schemer
Machinator
Coordinator
Sakushi
Kengen
Taskmaster
Honcho
Gaffer
Overseer
Overmaster
Overmind
Foxmind
Arbiter
Pacer
Pacesetter
Herald
Harbinger
Forerunner
Prime
Convoy (Transformers joke)
Hoplite
Ouragos
Dynamist
Dragon
Dimœrites
Decadarchos
Decasteros
Lochagos
Polemarch
Centurion
Vanguard
Aquilifer
Cornicen

Plenty of stinkers I know but that's how you brainstorm...

What the absolute... is a foxmind? I know foxy lady but....

Machinator? Is that one of the Russian first names from the communist era like Tractor?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Marshal is winning. Interesting.
“Marshal” is the one name that literally describes what the class concept does in a verb form. It organizes, directs and supports; the exact definition of “to marshal”. I would have voted for marshal, but warlord already is the placeholder for the design space, it seems silly to evict a name that already has traction. (Heck, it’s the name of the trope on TVtropes.)

jasper

Rotten DM
Herald ok does he announce everyone coat arms before the fight
Banneret. The tiny bratty kid of the mayor who going to get daddy to ban you from town.
Captain. A very crunchy name.
Warlord. Too much baggage with this name.
Marshal. He will arrest you in your tracks. We will name him William.
Mark. Up. Down, Twain?
Commander. Of Comma!
Warden. Sounds like a city ranger in charge of a prison.
Sentinel. Oh my Stars and Garters. X that Man. X that Man

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases