• Commander

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • Warden

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • Sentinel

Votes: 0 0.0%

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So what you’re saying is... the class should be called the Edgelord?

Sounds about right.
This is the single worst thread I’ve ever started, tbh, with the other related poll thread a close second, but he jokes are pretty good.

I think there might be a joke about going to hell in there somewhere....might use it in a game session soon...

Tony Vargas

Legend
I would also point out that warlord is a term that would certainly apply to many of the feudal magnates of the Middle Ages.
The English term warlord appears to date from the mid-19th century, but 'lord' is especially associated with medieval feudalism ('lord and lady') to indicate the holder of a fief. ...The entire 'feudal revolution' is often characterized as the violent usurpation of public rights of kings by a more militarized aristocracy of mounted warriors.
All of which is just to say, if the word warlord has a bit of an edge to it, that's fine with me, because medieval lords did too.
If you go all the way back to the coining of the word (as "war-lord"), it was in contrast to the idea of landed gentry in the 19th century having immemorial legal rights to their land - when, in essence, they're ancestors had mostly just seized it by violence at some point. Which, ironically, is much like an old-school D&D character reaching name level, building his keep & attracting followers.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
If you go all the way back to the coining of the word (as "war-lord"), it was in contrast to the idea of landed gentry in the 19th century having immemorial legal rights to their land - when, in essence, they're ancestors had mostly just seized it by violence at some point. Which, ironically, is much like an old-school D&D character reaching name level, building his keep & attracting followers.
So you're saying Warlord should just be the level title for name level in some classes, then?

I've always thought the term was something invented to refer to the leader of a group of mercenaries or warriors not affiliated with any realm or country.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I've always thought the term was something invented to refer to the leader of a group of mercenaries or warriors not affiliated with any realm or country.
Not the purpose for which it was coined, but certainly how it's used - and adventuring parties neatly dovetail with that definition.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Not the purpose for which it was coined, but certainly how it's used - and adventuring parties neatly dovetail with that definition.
Yep - which runs headfirst into the problem of whether a PC should be in position of telling other PCs what to do and expecting them to do it; because that's exactly what a leader-of-warriors Warlord does: it gives orders that are to be followed.

This is the crux of the issue with ANY leader-type class: regardless of its name its base function is to tell other PCs what to do. Nobody tells my PC what to do, and trying to do so too many times is likely to get you a sword in the eye (or in the back, depending what I'm playing). :)

Which is why I hope we don't again see a Warlord, or anything remotely similar, ever.

Hurin70

Adventurer
Yep - which runs headfirst into the problem of whether a PC should be in position of telling other PCs what to do and expecting them to do it; because that's exactly what a leader-of-warriors Warlord does: it gives orders that are to be followed.

This is the crux of the issue with ANY leader-type class: regardless of its name its base function is to tell other PCs what to do. Nobody tells my PC what to do, and trying to do so too many times is likely to get you a sword in the eye (or in the back, depending what I'm playing). :)

Which is why I hope we don't again see a Warlord, or anything remotely similar, ever.

If so, why are you in this thread?

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
venture-bros-monarch.jpg

Remove ads