• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best of Pratchett

I've enjoyed about 2/3 of the Terry Pratchett books i've read and would like to get some more. Unfortunatlly my budget does not allow for more than 2 paperbacks a month, so I just want the best. I have Guards! Guards! (excellent IMO), Jingo, Fifth Elephant (eh.), The Truth, Moving Pictures (eh.), The Colour or Magic, and Small Gods (heh). Pratchett has something like 20 of these books and unfortunatlly I can't afford them all, what do you suggest? Anyone suggest authors of a similar vein?

BTW thanks for answers/posts like these in the past as well. This forum has upgraded my reading matter considerably. Caesars Legion is next on the list.

edit: Spelling

Last edited:

Lady Mer

First Post
Hmm... Wyrd Sisters is pretty good, so is Men at Arms. Mort and Reaper Man feature my favorite character, Death, so I highly reccomend them, especially Reaper Man.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Men at Arms, if you haven't read it, is a nice follow up to Guards, Guards!

Maybe reading Mort, Reaper Man and then Hogfather would be a good triple shot of Death, but sometimes too much Pratchett all at once lessens the enjoyment of his work.

Even not liking Moving Pictures, you might still like Soul Music which does a much better job of spoofing the music industry (small band perspective) than Moving Pictures did for movies, IMO.

If you like Sci-Fi in general, try his Strata which is really a precursor to the whole Disc World series of books, after a fashion.

The books involving the Witches (Witches Abroad and Wyrd Sisters) were hit and miss for me, from chapter to chapter, but maybe it was just my frame of mind at the time. *shrug* Equal Rites was pretty good, IIRC.

I've heard good things about The Fifth Elephant and The Lost Continent but have yet to read either.

As you mention, Small Gods was enjoyable, as was Jingo which has some fun cameos.

Here's a good checklist/bibliography, since they're in order-

http://www.co.uk.lspace.org/books/reviews/index.html

And a monthly weblinks page for futher surfing pleasure-

http://www.ufbs.co.uk/dwm/dwlinks.html

Theovis

Explorer
If you liked Small Gods, give Pyramids a try. One of my favorites, very fun, and has some interesting mythological elements. And, did you know that Discworld camels are mathmatical geniuses? The particularly cunning camel "You Bastard" features heavily in Pyramids.

And if you haven't read Good Omens (collaboration with Neil Gaimen), I'd tackle that first.

Since you loved Guards, Guards, try Men At Arms. Arguably the best of the "Night Watch" novels.

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
Well, by subseries (and I may have forgotten one or two)

Rincewind
- The Color of Magic*
- The Light Fantastic*
- Eric*
- Sourcery
- Interesting Times (easily the best Rincewind book; if you like Rincewind at all, get it)
- The Last Continent

Withces
- Equal Rites (cute)
- Wyrd Sisters
- Witches Abroad*
- Lords and Ladies
- Maskerade
- Carpe Jugulum (probably the best Witch book I've read)

Death
- Mort (best Death book if you don't like Susan)
- Reaper Man
- Soul Music
- Hogfather (very good; kind of a counterpoint to Small Gods)
- Theif of Time

Watch
- Guards!Guards!
- Men at Arms (I rather liked this one)
- Feet of Clay
- Jingo
- The Fifth Elephant
- Night Watch (forthcoming; US hardcover release in November)

Standalones
- Pyramids
- Moving Pictures
- Small Gods (probably the most 'intellectual' Discworld book)
- The Truth

* I own these, but haven't read them yet

DDK

Banned
Banned
About three months ago I found "The Colour of Magic" sitting in a gutter. I'd heard about Pratchett and the Discworld but never got around to reading his work.

Now I'm a rabid, raving, fanatic. All hail Pratchett!

Of the books I've read so far, here are some brief comments:

The Colour of Magic: Easily a "classic" but since you've already read it, there's not much point recommending it.

Sourcery: Although dealing with Rincewind, sourcery, the wizards and Cohen the Barbarian's daughter, and having a lot of laughs, I can't say it was the best book. I'd skip this one unless you want to know what happened to all the wizards and why Rincewind is... err... where he is.

Eric: This is a no-brainer. Don't bother. It has the feel of a Terry Pratchett rip-off, as if someone else wrote it (someone else did). It simply doesn't have that Terry Pratchett wit and style. I mean, even the worst of Terry's books I'd still read due to his style but this one I couldn't get past the first half of it.

The Light Fantastic: I think this is the correct title. It's the second in the series and follows on from the first book in a way that it could almost be considered a sequel. Personally, I didn't find it as good as the first one, however it definitely has its moments. It also lays a foundation for future books, like providing information about the Luggage and Rincewind and the council of Unseen University. Therefore I'd say it's a definite must read.

Mort: Good but not great, it does however provide some interesting and exceptionally funny moments, especially when Death becomes a short order cook... It also explains a lot about some things that may be confusing if you read later books, like the origins of Susan (IIRC), Deaths granddaughter.

Reaper Man: If found this one to be a bit confusing. I think he was trying a different writing style. He tends to announce things and then later explain them which leaves you wondering what the hell has happened for a chapter or two, which I found really annoying. That said, I liked the book overall, especially the birth of the Mall :D Again, it features Death as a main character, so if you like him, then it's a good one to read.

Jingo: Again, not a great book but it features my favourite character, Vimes. If you like books about the Watch, then this is a definite must read. Some nice little mysteries that get solved and a lotta laughs (71-hour Ahmed... ahh, if only he'd waited one more hour :) ), but overall a bit disappointing (I find his endings to be mostly anti-climactic and this one is a downer for me). This one also features the Patrician in a more active role, which I love. ("You were chosen for your... special talents," ROFL). You said you've got this one but I realized that if you want to gauge my other comments, you need a reference.

The Fifth Elephant: I really liked this one. Again, featuring my favourite character, Vimes, it also has some great scenes, like Detritus cranking his 2000lb pull crossbow and loading up a volley of bolts which... well, I won't tell you what happens, just suffice it to say that Detritus is one of my other favourite characters :) This one features some of the coolest characters so there are a lotta laughs to be had. Detritus, Vimes, Carrot, Corporal Littlebottom and Angua, to name a few.

The Truth: This was actually one of my favourites so if you thought it was "Eh", then we're probably on different wavelengths. I thought it was very funny simply because of all the parallels to modern society and the function of the news and newsreporters in it. DOG BITES MAN! MAN BITES DOG! Lol.

The Thief of Time: This one features one of my absolute favourite characters, Lu Tze ("Always remember, rule number 1!", ROFL) and some of the situations are friggin' hilarious. It also has Susan (Death's granddaughter) in a very active role and the Auditors who are always good for a laugh. That said, again I found the ending to be anti-climactic and a bit of a let down. Still, a definite must read in my opinion and also his latest book and the last book (I think) that you will see Kidby's illustrations, since he died ( :( ) a couple of months ago.

The Wyrd Sisters: The witches I can, for the most part, leave or take. They have their moments (A wizards staff has a knob on the end), but overall I think they're a bit dull. Headology isn't as much fun as rapant fireballing and arguing over which spell should be used to fricassee an enemy, whilst it's charging towards you. If you're on a budget, I hate to say it, but I'd skip this one.

Equal Rites: Again with the witches. This one's a bit better, I think, than Wyrd Sisters, but even then I found it to be somewhat dull. Maybe it's just because the characters are less interesting to me than other characters in the series. Having said that, it's still an ok read and has a few laughs worthy of note... not that I can remember any right now.

Moving Pictures: Bizarre! Although I liked it, at the end of the day, I don't think this is the best one. I think The Truth did a better job of ridiculing the news than this did of ridiculing the film industry (I haven't read Soul Music so I can't say, but Mark's comments hold true with me too. It does, however, feature Ridcully and his merry band, whom I always find very amusing, and it also mentions the origins of Ponder Stibbons, although it's hardly worth getting it for that.

The Hogfather: How do you kill a metaphorical, anthropomorphic personification? Ask the Tooth Fairy! Although a lotta laughs, and also featuring Death and Susan, I'd pass on this one if you're on a budget. I felt it was a little slow however that could be just because I'd read three Pratchett's in two days and was suffering from Pratchettitis. It does have Ridcully and the rest in it though; again I always find them good value.

Guards! Guards!: I'm biased towards liking this one because it features the origins of Vimes, my favourite character. It also has Carrot in it, who simply rocks! The Patrician and Colon and Nobby also make this a worthwhile read. The dragon, and the ensuing relationship between Vimes and the dragonlady, Sybil, also make this worth reading. I'd rate this as a must read.

Carpe Jugulem: In my opinion, this was the most enjoyable of the books involving the witches. Carpe Jugulem: Seize the Throat! If you haven't read the previous witch books, things might be a little confusing seeing as it features the witches after they've gone through several changes and after you know who's who in the witch business. But, that said, I'd still recommend it above the other witch books, if only for the introduction of Agnes :)

The Last Continent: This book, although anti-climactic and a bit slow, I found to be one of the funniest. However, I'm guessing that you'd probably miss out on a lot of the humour in it seeing as it's Australio-centric. That said, if you know a bit about Australia, then this is perhaps the funniest book he's ever written. I suggest that if you know why my nickname is funny, then you'll find this book worth reading.

Pyramids (currently reading): Currently 1/4 through so I really can't comment. So far, it's not a huge winner with me though.

Last edited:

CerebusBlack

First Post
Feet of Clay

Feet of Clay is one a can highly recommend if you enjoy the Night Watch books. It has the usual cast of Watch characters- Vimes, Carrot, Nobby, Colon as well as others.

I have been a Pratchett fan for years and the Watch books are by far my favorite. (as you might be able to tell from my sig line.)

Luddite

First Post
If you can find it, there is a Illustrated Story called "The Last Hero." A realy cute short story with Cohen and the Silver Seven.

-The Luddite

...who had CMOT Dibbler as the pawn shop broker in his last session.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Not necessarily. Check the list by drothgery above that breaks them down into series (which isn't actually in the order that all of his books came out, since he jumps back and forth between series). It might be wise, if not reading them in actual order, to at least not jump ahead in any individual series (unless one of the books is touted as simply terrible). *shrug*

Last edited:

Remove ads