• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best old style AD&D dungeon crawlers ever

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yeah, the Saltmarsh trilogy (and Beyond the Crystal Caves) are great low-level AD&D adventures that I'd heartily recommend -- but neither is a traditional dungeon crawl at all.

The judges guild module "Caverns of Thracia" is to me the best of "old-school gaming".
That's another excellent suggestion. I was only thinking of AD&D modules, so it didn't spring to mind (it's for original D&D), but it's a cinch to use original D&D material with AD&D, and Caverns of Thracia is one of the better old-style dungeon crawls out there.

grodog

Hero
What I'm looking for is an engaging dungeon module/adventure with a satisfying theme, sensed traps, engaging encounters, well balanced fights, not overly large and under the Ad&d (1E or 2E) rules for quickness & that added nostalgia touch.

Based on your criteria, I recommend the following modules that haven't been named above yet:

• G3 Hall of the Fire Giant King by Gary Gygax (D&D; TSR)
  • WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun by Gary Gygax (AD&D; TSR)
  • B1 In Search of the Unknown by Mike Carr (D&D; TSR)
  • Return of the Eight by Roger E. Moore (AD&D 2nd edition; TSR)

I would probably select S4 or Caverns of Thracia over any of the above, except for G3.

Last edited:

Pilgrim

First Post
From personal experience, Against the Cult of the Reptile God.

I've run this and my players enjoyed it immensely, though there is potential for TPK, as was the case of my group which died to a single room encounter.

There is a local town nearby for the PCs to make a home base, there is travel through a swamp, chances for NPC interaction, plenty of dungeon crawl, traps, horrid monsters and just about everything wanted in that style of an adventure scenario.

In the vein of White Plume Mountain (a bit kooky, but fun), I actually prefer Ghost Tower of Inverness. I just ran a group through it and we had a great time. The room with the fire giant is still, in my mind, one of the classic D&D encounters of all time.

the GDQ series has to be the ultimate dungeon adventure, partly because it had the greatest storyline of any D&D setting ever, and partly because it had so much expansion potential... a DM could easily come up with more stuff to fill in all those mysterious caverns on the D series hex maps, or more weird worlds hooked up to the Demonweb plane...

Remove ads