D&D 5E Best on screen adaptation of the bard (poll)

Which top adaptations on screen of the bard do you feel best represents the D&D bard?

• Fflewddur Fflam (Black Cauldron)

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • El Mariachi (The Mexico Trilogy /w Antonio Banderas)

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Minstrel singing Brave Sir Robin (Quest for the Holy Grail)

Votes: 18 20.5%
  • Eddie Riggs (Brutal Legend)

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Geoffrey Chaucer (A knight's tale)

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Dandelion (Witcher)

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • Gabrielle (Xena)

• Lorne (Angel)

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Kubo (Kubo and the Two Strings)

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Galavant (Galavant musical)

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Alan-a-Dale (Robin Hood)

• Hubert Hawkins (The Court Jester)

Votes: 9 10.2%

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Good lord, why is it that the first reply in these polls is always "your forgot so and so!"

In the other poll, I even asked for suggestions for this poll in case I forgot someone. I can't know every TV or Movie or video game character ever made, you know.
What else would you expect the first response to a poll to be?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Cleric is tough. I think it has the least representation of all the classes in media.

At first Yoda seems like a good fit but given his physical presence he is more of a Wizard. Whenever people refer to Star Wars in reference to fantasy the Jedi are always called space wizards. I think it is because clerics aren't a thing for the general populace.

Still, considering the choices, the Jedi are the best fit for clerics I can think of right now.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
OK, suggestions for the next poll: Cleric. Here is what I have so far, but I have this feeling I'm missing a very obvious one:

Friar Tuck (Robin Hood)

Athelstan (Vikings)

Bishop Heahmund (war cleric, Vikings)

Cardinal Richelieu (Three Musketeers, Tim Curry)

Dorian (Wrath of the Dragon God)

Yoda (Star Wars)

Queen Taramis (Conan the Destroyer)

Air Nomads (Avatar the Last Airbender)

Carl (Van Helsing 2004 movie)

Abraham Van Helsing (Bram Stoker’s Dracula)

Sister Agatha (Dracula 2020-)
I know it's obscure, but Gieve from The Heroic Legend of Arslan is a pretty good example of a fighty bard who's also a musician/womanizer

I wanna say Trevor Belmont from Castlevania, actually all the Belmonts since they sorta work on the side of God to defeat the monsters, also holy water? throwing crosses? the rosary that nukes all enemies on screen? I wanna say in later games they explicitly use magic, but I'm actually not sure if that's the case :/

also aren't the air nomads more like monks? like they're pretty explicitly based off Tibetan monks iirc.
Cleric is tough. I think it has the least representation of all the classes in media.

At first Yoda seems like a good fit but given his physical presence he is more of a Wizard. Whenever people refer to Star Wars in reference to fantasy the Jedi are always called space wizards. I think it is because clerics aren't a thing for the general populace.

Still, considering the choices, the Jedi are the best fit for clerics I can think of right now.
I'm pretty sure Jedi are space monks, like right up to having vows of celibacy, also their commitment to martial prowess and having a weird grabbag of abilities. I guess similar to clerics at the time "space wizards" was coined when most people didn't have the western fantasy version of monk to go by.

....actually now that I think about it, is Trevor Belmont a monk?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I'm pretty sure Jedi are space monks, like right up to having vows of celibacy, also their commitment to martial prowess and having a weird grabbag of abilities. I guess similar to clerics at the time "space wizards" was coined most people didn't have the western fantasy version of monk to go by.

Yeah, Monk fits there too.

....actually now that I think about it, is Trevor Belmont a monk?

Given the reliance on weapons I say straight Fighter.

Also, a hallmark of the early Castlevania games was stiff movement. Trevor was the opposite of nimble.

An argument could be made for Paladin but I think Fighter fits best.

Remove ads