Best Place to Build a Fake 1920's Town?

Michael Dean

Explorer
I'm in the mood to create a 1920's-era small town to be used for a wide variety of games; pulp, Cthulhu, Prohibition mob wars, etc... I hate making one from scratch because I don't seem to get the versimilitude I'm looking for in terms of where things should be or street sizes, etc..

So I've been using google maps to zoom in on some likely towns that might fit the bill and getting the layout and cherrypicking what I like.

My requirements were:
1. That it be a small to medium size Midwestern U.S. town or city (I was looking for Michigan at first).
2. That it have a lake near the town, for water-based adventures.
3. That it not be too far from a major city, so big-city problems could logically come to town (Big City Assasins come on the noon train to kill the adventurers).
4. That it have enough space to plop down a small college or university (ala Miskatonic U).
5. That there be enough woods/hills/farmland nearby to have a place for tracking bad guys or wilderness adventures.
6. A place to place a nearby Army post or reservation and airstrip, so if the players need to call in the cavalry to deal with a wannabe King Kong, there would be some heavy artillery.

After goofing around picking places in Michigan (where I live), because I had a notion of using Detroit as the Big City, I had a stroke of inspiration. And the small town that wins the "Best Place to Build a Fake 1920s Town?"

LAKE GENEVA, WISCONSIN!!!

It's perfect and meets almost all of my needs, and what it doesn't can be added in with no problems. It's close to Milwaukee and semi-close to Chicago. I was wondering how I would get mob guys into Lake Geneva, and the wiki for Lake Geneva says that Al Capone used to vacation there! Perfect. In fact, it used to be the "Newport of the Midwest", where the wealthy would come from Chitown and Milwaukee to summer. So there are a lot of famous mansions around the lake, like Black Point Mansion, that would provide the requisite Cthulhu haunted houses. I can have high-society adventures along with hardboiled detective stores.

The layout of Lake Geneva is fairly contained over a small area and not spread out too far, which makes mapmaking fairly simple. And there is enough wide open spaces that make putting a small University fairly easy as well.

So thanks, Gary Gygax, because without you I would never have thought to look at Lake Geneva!

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Without even opening the thread, just looking at the title, my initial thought was "Northestern Illinois, near the border with Wisconsin." If you're doing 1920's you have to use Chicago, there is no substitute. And anybody using the setting for Call of Cthulhu or similar games also needs to be able to have a haunted mansion along the coast, which Lake Michigan certain can work for. So we're both on the same wavelength here, I'd just move the town a little closer to the Windy City than you did.

Kurashu

First Post
I'd like to also suggest Kewanee, Illinois. There are several big towns -- Quad Cities (Al Capone would also visit here, too), Peoria and Galesburg; Chicago is about three hours east -- nearby, a lake (Johnson Sauk Trail State Park), plenty of woods and farmland, there's already a college there (Black Hawk East) and a national guard base.

Not to mention that there is a train station -- albeit a very small AmTrack one -- and the Mississippi river is an hour away two ways.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Another apropriate place would be Hell. That is Hell, Michigan. It is very small and in the middle of swampy small lakes. It is about 15 Miles Northwest of Ann Arbor and 30 Miles from Detroit.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
While I'm not up on the actual topography, you could also pick towns like Manhattan (where I once lived) and/or Lawrence Kansas.

Both are near 3 large-ish cities- Topeka, Wichita, and Kansas City. Farmland abounds.

There are also major military installations in the area. Fort Riley is home of the Big Red 1 artillery unit. When those howitzers are practicing on the range, you can hear the boom rattling your windows 30 miles away in Manhattan.

In addition, Fort Leavenworth (near Lawrence) is not just the site of a federal prison, many "intellectual" branches of the Army's operations, and (oddly enough) the gov'ts herd of Buffalo. Apparently, the prison is downwind of the Buffalo herd, making Summers there...fragrant.

There are also many missile silos (though that won't help YOU out).

There are 2 largish universities in the area- KU and KSU. There's no reason a 3rd couldn't be in the area...or perhaps a satellite campus with a Dean with some odd ideas based on some mad Arab's scrawlings...

Manhattan has a small airport just outside city limits- the last time I was there, it still looked like a movie set from the 30's.

Bonus: Damon Runyon was born there. His globetrotting life as a reporter and writer could have gained him knowledge of things no human should know...and evidence thereof could have been left in his old hometown. Heck- a party might even encounter him.

Gerald B. Winrod, (1900-1957), evangelical Christian and Nazi sympathizer, was from Wichita, Kansas. Perhaps he got involved in that whole "Spear of Destiny" mysticism the Nazis were so famous for...and tried something in Kansas.

Perhaps Johnny Kaw (a fictional Paul Bunyanesque character created in the 1950s) was real...

Johnny Kaw - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lots of possibilities in the blank slate state of Kansas.

Janx

Hero
I would have suggested Galveston, TX.

It's not quite midwest, but...

it's on the water
the 1901 hurricane nearly wiped it out, and it rebuilt
a lot of mansions on Broadway Ave (I45 turns into broadway).

What you see on GoogleMaps is pretty much what would be there then, minus the big modern buildings.

It's got wilderness areas

Houston, 4th largest city is nearby.

It was a major destination for business and such (the 1901 hurricane shifted a lot to Houston).

who knows what the 1901 hurricane uncovered (or burried as the city was rebuilt, they raised the level by about 10feet).

It's not all cowboys and 6-guns.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I would have suggested Galveston, TX.

It's not quite midwest, but...

it's on the water
the 1901 hurricane nearly wiped it out, and it rebuilt
a lot of mansions on Broadway Ave (I45 turns into broadway).

What you see on GoogleMaps is pretty much what would be there then, minus the big modern buildings.

It's got wilderness areas

Houston, 4th largest city is nearby.

It was a major destination for business and such (the 1901 hurricane shifted a lot to Houston).

who knows what the 1901 hurricane uncovered (or burried as the city was rebuilt, they raised the level by about 10feet).

It's not all cowboys and 6-guns.

I like that!

Especially considering that a coastal town could be hit by something wicked under cover of a major storm. Hurricane Dagon, anyone?

Remove ads