• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best RPG Book you've never used

Beale Knight

First Post
GURPS Conan. I've read through it quite a bit, and it's inspired some great ideas, but I've never actually put it to game use (of course, not playing GURPS could have something to do with that :) )

Felon

First Post
Well, let's see....there's Oriental Adventures, which is an insanely beautiful piece of work with no practical application in my campaign.

Mage the Ascension is probably the most useless that I've owned for the longest amount of time. Excellent setting, horrible magic system.

Last edited:

Caspiar

First Post
Gary Gygax's Dangerous Journey's (esp Mythus Magic).... just never got around to learning the system.....although that is still one of the best magic books ever produced....

and Mage:The Ascension (Do all of us own this.....do none of us use it), Mummy:The Resurection (not a great book....but mummy's running around in modern times is still one of the funniest things i can picture)

Kweezil

Caffeinated Reprobate
In Nomine, loved the idea of the game, bought it years ago, and have never got a chance to play it. The fact it has probably the worst design for character creation, ever (almost randomly scattered through the first half of the book, with no indicatiosn of where to find what bit of info) probably didn't help.

• Monsternomicon -- I love this book, but by some weird coincidence, I haven't actually used anything from it yet.
  • Manual of the Planes -- I don't know that I necessarily will use this, unless I have a completely planar game, but it's still one of my favorite RPG books.
I thought about saying Oriental Adventures and Rokugan but I actually have used bits and pieces of them here and there.

Flyspeck23

First Post
- Terra Incognita. It's a shame, really, because the setting appeals to me, but Fudge doesn't appeal to my players...

- Lord of the Rings. Not quite sure if it's actually good, but I'd love to try it.

- Brave New World. If only I could find some players who'd like to play in that genre (btw., that's the reason I've stayed away from Mutants&Masterminds and the Marvel RPG for now... or otherwise they'd probably be on this list too).

- Mutant Chronicles. Love the world and wargame (Warzone), but no one else does.

As for d20 books:

- The Book of Taverns. Hadn't had the chance to include one of those in my homebrew. But that might change in the future, although I'm not sure yet.

- When the Sky Falls. No comment ;)

Tie between Monsternomicon and Tomb of Abysthor. I love both of them, but I have been a player for the past year, and have not been able to run more than one shots, so not much use for either of these right now.
frown.gif

Henry

Autoexreginated
The best book I've owned but NEVER used, would have to be Lost Souls, from Sage Lore Productions.

It was the ORIGINAL game where you played dead people!

Think of the movie Ghost with Patrick Swayze, and you have the basic premise: people trapped between death and life who search for karma to finish their journey, and who possess power over the physical world in many different ways.

You could also play a medium who helped these ghosts in their journeys. It was a very cool concept, but with a failure on my part in getting any players interested in it.

diaglo

Adventurer
The 4ed Hackmaster GM Screen.

man that thing is unbelieveable.

but i've never GMed a HackMaster game.

the only time it was used....

was for a one-shot adventure with a wandering ENWurlder. and he (theJester) used it for a 2000ed session. :eek:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads