• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

best silent image illusions

Dwimmerlied

First Post
Absolutely - but then, they're asking themselves "why was there an illusion of smooth stone over this wall?" The obvious assumption would be that it was to hide some form of cache or door.

Hahaha I see what you did there!

Man, That would have been a nice planned send up; me asking the obvious question for the more dimwitted of readers. Alas, I am the only dimwitted one! Nice trick.

Stepping away from Silent Image for a moment, a similar one I had some kobolds using was a pit that was wide enough not to be easily jumped, with a bar across the mid-point that could be grabbed to extend your leap, and then Invisibility cast on the bar. Anyone who knows the bar is there can use it to boost their Jump check, but anyone who doesn't will slam into it when they attempt the jump.

did you give them a 50% miss chance?

Kingreaper

Adventurer
Presumably they knew the precise location, given as it doesn't move, negating the miss chance.
An adventurer who'd simply been told about it would have the miss chance however...

Empirate

First Post
Doesn't move? Since when can't Silent Image include mobile stuff? It even says "You can move the image within the limits of the size of the effect" right there in the spell description.

Kingreaper

Adventurer
I was replying to James, who was talking about a real, physical, bar upon which "invisibility" had been cast.

Such a bar would have to be fixed to the wall, and therefore not move.

Mark1733

Explorer
With regards to green slime illusion, with silent image, can the green slime move, such as drip from the ceiling, sliding down a wall, etc? Or do I just have a puddle on the floor?

btw, I like the oil on the floor with a threat of a torch.

Empirate

First Post
You can move stuff around within the spell's area (which is one of the reasons why major image isn't redundant, btw). So if your green slime didn't drop too great a distance, no problem.

pemerton

Legend
You can move stuff around within the spell's area (which is one of the reasons why major image isn't redundant, btw).
I'm curious. Isn't the main reason that Major Image (the old Spectral Force) isn't redundant is because it permits the inclusion of additional senses in the illusion?

Empirate

First Post
I'm curious. Isn't the main reason that Major Image (the old Spectral Force) isn't redundant is because it permits the inclusion of additional senses in the illusion?

That's one part of it, and it is pretty cool. However, another big thing is that Major Image has the following sentence attached to it: "While concentrating, you can move the image within the range." Silent Image, on the other hand, has this one: "You can move the image within the limits of the size of the effect."

Note that Silent Image (which is the spell otherwise referred to in Major Image's description) has "Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)", but its "Effect:..." line reads "Visual figment that cannot extend beyond four 10-ft. cubes + one 10-ft. cube/level (S)". So Major Image can produce an illusion (no bigger than four + CL 10' cubes), which can then be moved around within the spell's positively huge "Long" range.

E.g., Major Image can produce a figment of a dragon coming up over the treeline, making strafing attacks. Or a ship rounding the cape and slowly sailing closer. Etc.

Remove ads