Best Systems For One-on-one Play?

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
I would think that World of Darkness could be used to do some really good solo work.

Superhero games, in general, often work well for solos.

I would second both those things...

Also have a pet theory that you could run an awesome cyberpunk setting game with 1-3 players - get some really interesting plotting going. Lots of good systems for that sort of thing out there. With just 1, figure recreating robocop could be fun.

Vanuslux

Explorer
There is an important distinction to make here. It is entirely true that D&D isn't that well suited to games with solo characters. However, played by a single player, controlling the whole team rather than one player per character can work very well, sometimes even better than standard troupe play, because you can always be sure that all the characters will properly co-ordinate their actions.

I should have clarified this from the beginning. I'm looking for something that's ideal for 1-2 players each playing a single character. I've never really cared much for people controlling multiple characters. Personal preference.

I would think that World of Darkness could be used to do some really good solo work.

Superhero games, in general, often work well for solos.

I've been thinking a lot of taking advantage of White Wolf's "Month of Darkness" sale...though I don't really know much about the new World of Darkness. Can anyone tell me if the new version of Hunter could be used to recreate a BPRD style organization? I think it would be fun to do something in the style of the first Hellboy movie.

Have you actually tried. We have run 1 and 2 man groups, both at low (1-4) and medium (13-14) and it works quite well, in our experience.

Not with 4E, no. I've only run 4E for a group, but it seemed like every other power anyone used helped someone else in the party in some way...which really helped bring the team together. I'm sure it's possible to run a 1-2 PC game in 4E, it just doesn't seem ideal.

(un)reason

Legend
I've been thinking a lot of taking advantage of White Wolf's "Month of Darkness" sale...though I don't really know much about the new World of Darkness. Can anyone tell me if the new version of Hunter could be used to recreate a BPRD style organization? I think it would be fun to do something in the style of the first Hellboy movie.
The sample organizations within include decendants of the devil fighting against their dark natures, a relic hunting secret society, a big company which hunts monsters to use their parts in biotechnology and an organisation which used to be part of the nazis that hunts monsters to atone for their former misdeeds, despite feeling that nothing they do can ever really make up for it Angel style. I think that there is definitely all the elements to do what you want with a little rearrangement.

Remove ads