Best universal rpg system?

AK81

Explorer
What do you think is the best/most fun universal/generic rpg system and why? I'm really curious about Fate, Cortex Prime and Savage Worlds. Anyone have any experience with any of those? If so, what do you like/dislike? I'm interested in any other generic rpg systems you like too

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’m a big fan of HERO. It’s so flexible, I’ve yet to find a character concept I couldn’t model to make it work the way I wanted it to.

I’ve tried others, like GURPS and the Mutants & Masterminds system, but there’s always some little wrinkle that leaves me unhappier than I would be with the results in HERO. (Though not so unhappy as I wouldn’t use those systems out of hand.)

Arilyn

Hero
I like Fate's aspects and flow of fate points which really helps capture the feel of action oriented fiction. Cortex is really good as well but I haven't had much chance to dig into the latest edition.

Both these games require creating your world or finding a published one you like. This should be a collaborative process with players but some players are reluctant. Both games are easy to grasp but some find it difficult to wrap their head around the philosophy.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases