• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Value for Money RPG Purchase

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
The DUNGEON magazines that included the d20 mini-games.

UNEARTHED ARCANA for D&D 3.5. In my opinion, it is the only book outside of the core 3 that could be considered "required" for the 3.5 game.

Most of my GURPS 3e campaign books, especially ones that were purchased used or at conventions ($5 to $10 per book).

jeff37923

First Post
Shadowdancer said:
Traveller T20 Handbook. There is so much usable stuff in there for non-Traveller games, esp. games involving space travel. But the design systems allow you to create technology items for any tech level. Star system design system allows you to create solar systems for any system. Ship design system allows you create star ships for any system. Trade system can be used to handle trading for any system.

I agree, but this is only my choice for a d20 product.

The original Classic Traveller LBB 1-3 still gives me hours of enjoyment after being around for 25 years. You just can't beat that in my book for value.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Since many here seem to like GURPS, what are the GURPS 3e supplements that you have gotten the most value out of?

My first choice would be GURPS Horror 3E - the version written by Ken Hite. The advice in it on running horror adventures and campaigns is gold - the guy really knows what he is talking about.

After that, I recommend Transhuman Space and all of its supplements - they are very inspirational for world-builders, even those who will never run science fiction games. They make you think about how adding a new element to a setting - whether technological, magical, or otherwise - will change human society.

And then there's GURPS War Against The Chtorr - one of the most disturbing "alien invasion" scenarios I know, and it shows you how to create a whole campaign around the concept without even having intelligent enemies - and that only makes it much more scary.

Finally, there are the two "Suppressed Transmissions" books, which technically aren't GURPS - but they are so full of essays with brilliant ideas and weird, strange things just ready-made for gaming that it doesn't matter at all which gaming system you use...

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Jürgen Hubert said:
Since many here seem to like GURPS, what are the GURPS 3e supplements that you have gotten the most value out of?
Easily Transhuman Space [suplements] and Biotech. :cool:

I use the background and filler info of my Transhuman Space books as the setting for my D20 Future campaign.

erucsbo

Explorer
World's Largest Dungeon, and RolePlayingMaster.
I reckon I'll get 3 years out of WLD (if not more considering that there are areas that the players will not hit on their way through - and those can be recycled in other adventures), and RPM for the ability to build, store and manage multiple characters plus display player versions of maps while I have a DM map for me.
For money not spent - d20srd.org.

Sykopup

First Post
I would have to say, for me and a couple others in my group, Heroes Unlimited. Vampire the Masquerade would probably be a close second.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads