Best VOIP gaming programs? (was Ghostorb?)

Hussar

Legend
Honestly, I took a look at Ghostorb when it was supposed to be coming out, but, the price tag scared me and I was immedietely thinking that there would be some serious licensing issues if DM's started getting paid. That it turned into vaporware is not really all that shocking.

There's a pretty decent rundown of the various programs here. Seems pretty straight up.

Arkhandus

First Post
For the past 4 or so years now, I've roleplayed almost exclusively on OpenRPG. I've tried play-by-e-mail campaigns 2 or 3 times now with little success. I've had only a few very brief chances to do face-to-face tabletop RPGing since moving to Arizona 4-5 years ago. My experience with OpenRPG has been similar to Hussar's and his groups' experience with it. Kinda tough to figure out at first if you don't have someone helping you out, but adequate for most tabletop RPGs once you learn the basics (some people make it out to be harder than it really is, people who are utterly lacking in both Windows familiarity and mere common sense). I largely figured it out by guessing and clicking on things, and it really wasn't hard to figure out the most basic stuff.

OpenRPG gets buggy sometimes, and disconnects can happen frequently if using a public server or if you have a poor/laggy/unreliable internet connection (as I do; Cox Communications SUCKS at providing internet service, I say! I had similar internet connection reliability back in Michigan, years ago, when it was coming from a company totally new to internet service; Cox just plain SUCKS considering how much more experienced and financially-capable they are by comparison; my connection's only stable about half the time, and slow about half of the time that it's working). Anyway.... OpenRPG works well enough though for running weekly games. I run my own temporary server for my campaign sessions, and my group only suffers occasional disconnects, easily reconnecting to my server, and having relatively little lag most of the time (and hardly ever more than intermediate lag). Occasionally though, with my unreliable cable connection (*grumble grumble*), once in a while I get disconnected and can't reconnect for hours, because of my stupid ISP. Same happens anyway when I'm not running OpenRPG, so it's not caused by the program.

Finding images for 'minis' can be a nuisance, though. The few sites I've tried to use have disappeared, except for DM Silverglass' (to my knowledge).

SgtHulka

First Post
OpenRPG is likely, in the long run, to bury the competition for two basic reasons:

1) It works great.
2) It's free.

Might as well jump on now, because who knows how long competing programs will last.

Remove ads