D&D 5E Best way to deal with greedy players and magic items in a fun game.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Was that an AD&D rule or a home brew rule?
Bit of both. It's RAW that if you fail a save vs area damage your items and possessions then each have to save or be destroyed. It's a homebrew thing that on breaking, a magic item can sometimes release all its magic in a boom or a wild surge; and a boom can trigger another round of saves occasionally leading to a cascading series of destruction and pain. We call this a meltdown.

The 'boom' idea came from the 1e rules around intentionally breaking a wand (of lightning? fireball?) to generate a 'retributive strike': we tjhought that if it works this way for one item, why doesn't it work this way for all of them? At first the options were 'boom' or nothing; wild magic surges were added later.
It's been way too long but it sounds familiar and sparked a memory of dreading rolling saving throws for items.

Either way, I'm going to consider adding something like this to my home campaigns, for the same reason I added critical wounds - 5e is too safe.

corwyn77

Adventurer

The 'boom' idea came from the 1e rules around intentionally breaking a wand (of lightning? fireball?) to generate a 'retributive strike': we tjhought that if it works this way for one item, why doesn't it work this way for all of them? At first the options were 'boom' or nothing; wild magic surges were added later.
As I remember, that was only for the very powerful staves, of Magi and of Power.

ECMO3

Hero
Given how underpowered fighters are anyway, it seems to add insult to injury to stick them with a garbage weapon as well.

And who makes magic versions of rubbish weapons anyway?
I would disagree that they are underpowered and I would argue that the player who decided to get GWM and PAM instead of ASIs or broader feats is the one who ensured he had rubbish weapons.

In published adventures I think there are A LOT more magic daggers and maces than there are magic Glaives and Halberds. Many of them are not rubbish either. Things like the Silvered Skull Flail from DIA, the Dragontooth Dagger from HODQ and Tearluai from MadMage are pretty awesome weapons you get at relatively low level, but if you hamstrung your Fighter or Paladin by "optimizing" they are much less effective.

ECMO3

Hero
Not quite, that's where crafting comes into play. In my current game I have five players in it.
I have never been a player in a game where we had enough down time to craft anything other than scrolls and potions. Most of the time the only reason we could craft scrolls is because we had a Warlock or Elf that did not need to sleep 8 hours a day.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I have never been a player in a game where we had enough down time to craft anything other than scrolls and potions.
Which means either your DMs have been really piling on the time-crunch pressure (which gets tiresome if-when overdone) or some of the players were too keen to get on with things.

Otherwise, in theory all it takes is for you to say (in-character) "Guys, that's it. This is a fine town, so let's stay here for a month, craft some gear and otherwise take it easy. Keep your ears to the ground for later adventuring possibilities, and in the meantime we can enjoy spending our hard-won loot".

Clint_L

Hero
Which means either your DMs have been really piling on the time-crunch pressure (which gets tiresome if-when overdone) or some of the players were too keen to get on with things.

Otherwise, in theory all it takes is for you to say (in-character) "Guys, that's it. This is a fine town, so let's stay here for a month, craft some gear and otherwise take it easy. Keep your ears to the ground for later adventuring possibilities, and in the meantime we can enjoy spending our hard-won loot".
This could be it's own thread: how much down-time do you work into campaigns? I find most of the down-time in game comes either from travel or from real life breaks. I like the idea of starting up games by asking players what their characters did while they were "off" and giving them the option to have worked on bigger projects like these. Another note to self.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
This could be it's own thread: how much down-time do you work into campaigns? I find most of the down-time in game comes either from travel or from real life breaks. I like the idea of starting up games by asking players what their characters did while they were "off" and giving them the option to have worked on bigger projects like these. Another note to self.
That's a big advantage of training to level up: it forces parties to take some downtime now and then whether they want to or not. (that said, it'd be hard to implement training in 5e without really slowing down the advancement rate)

Otherwise, as DM there'll be times when there's some time pressure and other times when it's completely up to the players/PCs what they do next and-or when and-or how quickly they go about it. There's also some players (like me) who can think of all sorts of things to do during downtime, while some other players have no use for it at all and just want to get on with the next adventure.

ECMO3

Hero

It is mostly pubished campaigns I have played. We actually started to do exactly what you said in Yartar in Princes of the Apocolypse (even though we were supposed to be looking for prisoners) and the Elemental cults started blowing up towns .... including Yartar where we were. Sop we packed up our gear and went back to work.

Most campaigns have a mission or theme that is time critical, and those that don't are generally not very engaging thematically.

Of the WOTC 5E campaigns I have played, the only one that really afforded downtime for crafting is Dungeon of the Mad Mage and the problem with that one is you are 12 levels deep in a dungeon and don't want to backtrack all the way back to the top to do it.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
It is mostly pubished campaigns I have played. We actually started to do exactly what you said in Yartar in Princes of the Apocolypse (even though we were supposed to be looking for prisoners) and the Elemental cults started blowing up towns .... including Yartar where we were. Sop we packed up our gear and went back to work.

Most campaigns have a mission or theme that is time critical, and those that don't are generally not very engaging thematically.
Well, this might be one where you can't have it both ways. :)

Time-critical long-term missions - which includes most published adventure paths - and downtime don't tend to play very nice with each other.

I guess a way to do both might be to have individual adventures be time-critical but to have those adventures be more stand-alone rather than strung together in a hard-sequence path. So, a time-critical adventure might be one of rescuing the kidnapped prince within the three days given to pay the ransom. Then you can take some downtime until whenever the next mission arises (or you-as-players go and find one).
Of the WOTC 5E campaigns I have played, the only one that really afforded downtime for crafting is Dungeon of the Mad Mage and the problem with that one is you are 12 levels deep in a dungeon and don't want to backtrack all the way back to the top to do it.
Fair enough. :)

Remove ads