Best Way to Find New Players

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I only have a few hard rules I stick to when gaming, and the most important one is to never ever jump into a long term game with people I dont know. I am a firm believer in no play-style is badwrongfun for everyone, but there are play-styles that are badwrongfun for me. I can one-shot or organize play with anybody, but if im going to dedicate serious time into a long term game, it better be worthwhile. So to get to the latter, I use the former.

Organized play is a great way to meet local gamers with little commitment. Go when you can, leave when you want. You get to preview local gamers and get to know them. After you identify the best fits, you can pursue a long term campaign style gaming group.

There are lots of ways to do this online too, i'm just not familiar with them.

Good luck.

Nebulous

Legend
I have found people by posting in the appropriate forums on Roll20 and Discord. Of course you don't know who you will get, or be compatible, but it's been a reliable way so far, at least for drumming up online gamers.

I have had two people back out, I quit one game myself, another group cancelled his game after one session, too busy with school, and I've seen one player kicked out after the first game for extreme rudeness to the GM and players. But there's tons of people where it works out great and you get along, and no problems. So it just takes the time and effort, and some folks get lucky the first try.

Last edited:

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I think the place is evil, nevertheless facebook groups have been the best place to find players and game groups, both face to face and for online games.

Shiroiken

Legend
Honestly I don't know. My current group has formed slowly over years. I had a couple of friends I played with in jr high and high school, and while none of them are technically part of it, it set everything up. A different group of friends and I played the CCG Legend of the 5 Rings, so when the RPG came out, they wanted to try it. Since I had GM experience with D&D, I became the GM. I was introduced to others who were friends of friends. Some of them played D&D as well, so I joined their group as well. This of course, introduced me to other gamers, who played even different games. Eventually this kind of thing repeated until I came upon my current group. No one from the original group is part of it, and only one is part from the 2nd group.

I've heard of others finding players via VTT games and organized gaming, but IME that is a hazardous gamble. A lot of bad players look for games this way, since they can't get into games normally, so be wary.

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
I've heard of others finding players via VTT games and organized gaming, but IME that is a hazardous gamble. A lot of bad players look for games this way, since they can't get into games normally, so be wary.

Since moving to a new city and writing that blog post, most of my games have become Roll20 games with old friends. I managed to build a group out of my wife's coworkers and my classmates, but two quit with the new semester (gotta loves grad student time constraints) and another two moved out of state.

I find myself considering organized play as a way to scratch the IRL gaming itch, but I'm pretty worried about the "hazardous gamble" you mentioned. I guess I'd want to play with folks for multiple sessions before inviting them into a home game. :/

Shiroiken

Legend
Since moving to a new city and writing that blog post, most of my games have become Roll20 games with old friends. I managed to build a group out of my wife's coworkers and my classmates, but two quit with the new semester (gotta loves grad student time constraints) and another two moved out of state.
VTT are great to keep groups together that move away. Our current group ranges from Sacramento to NYC. Some people don't like VTT, but honestly after doing it for years, I'd rather use it and play IRL.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases