D&D 3E/3.5 Best Way to Improve a Wizard's AC

diaglo

Adventurer
Olaf the Stout said:
Any other suggestions?
put something in front of you and the threat. obstructions are better than AC. 50% miss chance is +10 AC; 25% miss chance is +5 AC.

edit: also obstructions help with reflex saves and the like

Moon-Lancer said:
are their any magic items that give dodge boosts?

[tangent]
No magic item, not even an artifact, is capable of granting a dodge bonus to AC. Its the best hard-text proof you will find that D+D is not supposed to be a completely modular system, even though some of the writers seem to have forgotten that.
[/tangent]

Slaved

First Post
Deset Gled said:
No magic item, not even an artifact, is capable of granting a dodge bonus to AC.

Boots of speed? I thought I saw a special armor or weapon somewhere that granted the bearer the dodge feat as well.

Slaved

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
yes, exactly (+6 for a 4th level slot).

I am assuming that you round down, which is a shame for spells like bless and prayer. :(

I do not know if it would be worthwhile but perhaps the feat could add +50% rounded down for 2 levels or +50% rounded up for 3 levels at the users option. It does not seem like the second option would be used very often but it would open up certain spells that would otherwise be uneffected by the original feat. If it is not very powerful perhaps it could just be rounded up with the +2 level version anyway.

+2 from bless as a level 3 spell or as a level 4 spell? +2 from prayer as a level 5 spell or a level 6 spell?

Righteous might x12 weight, +6 size bonus to strength, +3 size bonus to constitution, +3 enhancement bonus to natural armor for either version so at caster level 15+ the damage reduction would be 13/(evil/good) or 14/(evil/good).

Maybe it would be ok just to have the +50% round up even just at +2 levels.

Pell-Mell

First Post
A few other things to consider:

Wand of Mage Armor (750 gp): With a one hour duration per casting, this will last for quite sometime. Also, if it gets dispelled, it is easy to replace. While not as good as the greater version, it does not take a valuable 3rd level spell spot and is much cheaper than the equivalent Bracers fo Armor +4 (16000 gp)

Rod of Metamagic, Lesser Extend (3000 gp): This can greatly extend the use of the shield spell. At 8th level, this should last 16 minutes. With two castings, you can get a half-hour out them. The various ability enhancement spells (e.g. Cat's Grace) can also be extended. Consider getting two rods.

Magic Circle against Evil (3rd level spell): Takes up a 3rd level slot, but provides multiple benefits and has a long duration (10 min/lvl). The deflection bonus can replace the expensive ring of protection in most cases and it provides a benefit to saves, protection from summoned monsters, and charming. Also, the 10-ft range emanation can protect teammates. At some point, the fighter will thank you for this :)

Sigurd

First Post
I wouldn't allow using a shield unproficiently without a proficiency penalty although I read the RAW and your logic is sound.

If you have access to it consider the Urban Savant from Cityscape. It allows light armored casting at first level.

There are a few formulas for giving wizards the ability to cast in light armor. The WotBS players handbook has one option. I think Heroes of Valour has a paladin\wizard with the choice as well.

S

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
Sigurd said:
I wouldnt allow using a shield unproficiently without a proficiency penalty.

that's what the meat shield aka fighter or other dumb sword swinger/PC is for.

put dumb PC X between you and the harm. best shield out there.

Remove ads