D&D 3E/3.5 Best Way to Improve a Wizard's AC

Datboi

Villager
Take 1 level of wizard, plate armour, defense fighting style for +1 ac, that’s a 19 ac right there, plus your dex mod, if you take 2 levels of rogue you can get cunning action to disengage at the end of turns AND sneak attack for melee attacks, and you can STILL get 9th level spells at the end of it all.

Fighter 1, plate armour, defense fighting style
Rogue 2, cunning action
Wizard 17, 9th level spells

😁😁😁

Spells will buff it too

dave2008

Legend
Take 1 level of wizard, plate armour, defense fighting style for +1 ac, that’s a 19 ac right there, plus your dex mod, if you take 2 levels of rogue you can get cunning action to disengage at the end of turns AND sneak attack for melee attacks, and you can STILL get 9th level spells at the end of it all.

Fighter 1, plate armour, defense fighting style
Rogue 2, cunning action
Wizard 17, 9th level spells
And a shield

If you have +3 dex then your ac will be 24
😁😁😁
Nice 13 year thread necro! Though I am not sure you talking about the same edition as the OP!

FYI, if your using 5e you can't add your Dex mod to plate armor.

Datboi

Villager
Nice 13 year thread necro! Though I am not sure you talking about the same edition as the OP!

FYI, if your using 5e you can't add your Dex mod to plate armor.
Oh wow, I must seem slow, thank you for catching that before I played it at the table, my last character got killed by a dragon because his goal was to perform a ritual involving his death and any type of dragon except the dracolich or ancient red dragons (For he was a warlock and wanted to do this for his diety). I didn’t expect it at level 5, but hey, better than nothing ig. I haven’t played with the build I mentioned in my reply yet, so once again, thanks for catching that.

and yes I am talking about 5e, even tho it might not be the same edition as the op.

dave2008

Legend
Oh wow, I must seem slow, thank you for catching that before I played it at the table, my last character got killed by a dragon because his goal was to perform a ritual involving his death and any type of dragon except the dracolich or ancient red dragons (For he was a warlock and wanted to do this for his diety). I didn’t expect it at level 5, but hey, better than nothing ig. I haven’t played with the build I mentioned in my reply yet, so once again, thanks for catching that.

and yes I am talking about 5e, even tho it might not be the same edition as the op.
FYI, here is how armor works in 5e. Light Armor allows full dex mod, medium armor allows dex mod up to +2 max and heavy armor does not allow dex mod at all. See below

Armor

Light Armor
ArmorCostArmor Class (AC)StrengthStealthWeight
Padded5 gp11 + Dex modifierDisadvantage8 lb.
Leather10 gp11 + Dex modifier10 lb.
Studded leather45 gp12 + Dex modifier13 lb.
Medium Armor
Hide10 gp12 + Dex modifier (max 2)12 lb.
Chain shirt50 gp13 + Dex modifier (max 2)20 lb.
Scale mail50 gp14 + Dex modifier (max 2)Disadvantage45 lb.
Breastplate400 gp14 + Dex modifier (max 2)20 lb.
Half plate750 gp15 + Dex modifier (max 2)Disadvantage40 lb.
Heavy Armor
Ring mail30 gp14Disadvantage40 lb.
Chain mail75 gp16Str 13Disadvantage55 lb.
Splint200 gp17Str 15Disadvantage60 lb.
Plate1,500 gp18Str 15Disadvantage65 lb.
Shield
Shield10 gp+26 lb.

Datboi

Villager
FYI, here is how armor works in 5e. Light Armor allows full dex mod, medium armor allows dex mod up to +2 max and heavy armor does not allow dex mod at all. See below

Armor

ArmorCostArmor Class (AC)StrengthStealthWeight
Light Armor
Padded5 gp11 + Dex modifierDisadvantage8 lb.
Leather10 gp11 + Dex modifier10 lb.
Studded leather45 gp12 + Dex modifier13 lb.
Medium Armor
Hide10 gp12 + Dex modifier (max 2)12 lb.
Chain shirt50 gp13 + Dex modifier (max 2)20 lb.
Scale mail50 gp14 + Dex modifier (max 2)Disadvantage45 lb.
Breastplate400 gp14 + Dex modifier (max 2)20 lb.
Half plate750 gp15 + Dex modifier (max 2)Disadvantage40 lb.
Heavy Armor
Ring mail30 gp14Disadvantage40 lb.
Chain mail75 gp16Str 13Disadvantage55 lb.
Splint200 gp17Str 15Disadvantage60 lb.
Plate1,500 gp18Str 15Disadvantage65 lb.
Shield
Shield10 gp+26 lb.
Yea, thank you

tommybahama

Adventurer
An 8th level wizard in 2007 had an average of 27k in gold?!? Is that true today in 5e? Cause if so, our party has to have a stern talk with our DM! I think we might have a tenth of that.

Remove ads