• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best way to store miniatures?

Ulrick

First Post
mistergone said:
Just a lil common sense note. While it looks cool to carry your minis in an actual gun case, it is very not cool to have the cops tackle you to the ground and handcuff you. ALWAYS have large, easily seen and read labels on the outside of your case that state there no actual firearms inside the case. Even then, this may not be the best of ideas. I know at one local game store around here the diehards think it's the coolest thing in the universe to carry around gun cases, for whatever reason, but they'd wet their khakis if a cop drew a gun on them and told them to put their hands in the air. Sound ridiculous, or that I'm being too cautious? Well, these are post 9-11 times and people have been stopped by the police for less.

Yeah. I have to agree with you on that one. I've gotten weird looks from people when I used to walk around with a large pistol case to hold my minis.

haiiro

First Post
I shelled out for one of the Warhammer 40K cases that GW makes, and after three years or so I still love it. It has three layers with large and small cutouts (nice and deep, too), and the bottoms of the layers are foam (not cardboard or plastic), so even if little bits stick up slightly they won't get bent by the layer on top of them. It looks like an oversized briefcase, and can sit flat or on end (when closed, of course).

I used to have a much cheaper and slimmer minis case -- two layers, cardboard bottom on the top layer, and shallow cutouts. It stunk, and I don't miss it. ;)

A friend of mine has a Battlehive and is thrilled with it. He takes out a couple of layers to put in paints and brushes and several D&D books, uses the dice tray for dice and tools, and still has room for plenty of minis. It's too large for my tastes, but it's definitely a solid and innovative case if you like the size/feel of it. The best thing about it, IMO, is that instead of predtermined cutouts, each layer is filled with 1/4" partially-cut foam bits. This allows you to remove only the ones you need, and produces the perfect fit for each miniature (no problems with odd minis, tails, wings, etc. fitting in awkwardly).

Skade

Explorer
megamania said:

Talk about intimidating other players in 40K!!!!!!

Psychological warfare is the key to any engagement. :D

Edit: Should respond to Mistergone.

I have had one incident where a State Trooper asked to view the contents of the case when he stopped me for a routine traffic violation. He did so very politely, and I of course did not object. In Texas its legal to carry rifles and shotgun in your car, so long as they are not loaded, so his only concern was the possibility of it being loaded. I do actually have a large Imperial Eagle painted across one side, and the other is plainly marked in yellow writing now. I don't actually carry the thing most times now, mostly due to having found I prefer something I can carry my vehicles in. I do not recommend that anyone ever march down mainstreet with a gun case, however, so I'm sorry if I came across as meaning that. I was trying to present a cheap option for those who only intend on moving miniatures from home to a friends house.

Last edited:

Tewligan

First Post
megamania said:

However, as said earlier, if used, accidents will happen and figures will break / chip. Damned Ettin arm has come off about four times in the two years I have had him now.:(
Have you pinned the arm on, or is it just glued? Heavy multipart models generally need pinning. For any who don't know, when assembling the model you drill corresponding holes in the parts that go together (such as the part of the arm that glues against the body, and a matching hole on the torso where the arm connects). A piece of wire is glued into the holes when connecting the pieces, which makes it a LOT sturdier.

ejja_1

First Post
Storage options

I went ultra cheap and got some of those plastic lure storage boxes from shamino, and put cotton balls in then for padding.
Works great!

Also it helps if you keep two sets one for play and one for show.
K

(edited in the last comment.)

Last edited:

Remove ads