Best (& Worst) Films and Series of 2022

I'm going to go off the beaten track, well, partially, for my 2022 list. This won't include the usual geeky shows we all spend so much time obsessing over. So even though I loved Andor and Peacemaker and Ms. Marvel and Strange New Worlds (as did my couch mate SNARFZODIACKILLER!!!!!), they won't be considered.

Also? I don't think I watched much that was bad this past year ... life is too short for bad.

So ... the good stuff.

TV SHOWS (10)
The Bear.
I didn't believe the hype. And then I finally got around to watching it on Hulu. If you've ever worked in, or near, a kitchen ... well, you'll feel this. Just an absolute banger of a first season.

Severance.
I wrote a thread about this when it first came out (the best show no one is watching) and, eventually, people started watching it. It so perfectly captures the disquieting anomie in the modern workplace, but also the little ties that bind people together.

The Rehearsal.
There is little I can say about this that hasn't been said. Either you think Nathan Fiedler is a creative genius, or you hate every moment of this. I fall in the first camp, and remain stunned that anything so brilliant and so strange made it TV.

The White Lotus.
Who says camp can't also be incredibly thought-provoking? Besides, you've seen my avatar.

Irma Vep.
Does the TV show comment on the movie, or on the TV show, or the original Irma Vep, or on the life of the creative people behind it?
Yes.

Hacks.
Season 2 somehow managed to build on what was a perfect Season 1.

Barry.
I put this here because, as TV shows go on in time, people start to lose interest. Don't lose interest in this one. What started as a comedy with dark moments became a dark comedy and is now ... well, it's dark. But still anchored by absolutely brilliant performances.

Station Eleven.
Given the recent pandemic, it was a tough watch at times ... but it was also so very good.

WeCrashed/Dropout.
Both shows say a lot about modern capitalism ... none of it very flattering.

What We Do In Shadows.
It's funny.

Note- There are several shows that are likely going to be on the list, like We Own This City, but I haven't seen them yet.
Question on the bear as I’m looking for a new series. What makes it good? Is it a drama or something like this is us which can be depressing at times. What would you compare it 2
Thanks

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Question on the bear as I’m looking for a new series. What makes it good? Is it a drama or something like this is us which can be depressing at times. What would you compare it 2
Thanks

Briefly, The Bear is about working in a kitchen. More expansively, it is about coming to grips with grief, and it is about family.

It is incredibly tense, incredibly funny, and also very moving. The acting is amazing.

It also is about Italian Roast Beef.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Briefly, The Bear is about working in a kitchen. More expansively, it is about coming to grips with grief, and it is about family.

It is incredibly tense, incredibly funny, and also very moving. The acting is amazing.

It also is about Italian Roast Beef.
I'm not sure I would use the phrase incredibly funny. Somewhat funny, maybe.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I'm not sure I would use the phrase incredibly funny. Somewhat funny, maybe.

Well, it's not a comedy (even though it's listed as one in a lot of places). But there are moments of insane hilarity.

Heck, some of the scenes with Cuz (Richie) are ... well, something.

Mercurius

Legend
Severance.
I wrote a thread about this when it first came out (the best show no one is watching) and, eventually, people started watching it. It so perfectly captures the disquieting anomie in the modern workplace, but also the little ties that bind people together.
Oh, and this - absolutely agree. Best show I've seen in awhile. I accidentally included "Succession" in my first post (which I haven't seen), but meant to write Severance.

Mercurius

Legend
Wheel of Time (S1) - I don't get it fam, I really don't. This was really good. My partner and I watched it, read Eye of the World, then re-watched it, and it was even better. Just excellent.
While it wasn't eyeball-scratchingly bad like Rings of Power (imo), I can't bring myself to call WoT anything better than "OK, with some good moments, but some bad ones too." There's promise there, but it was just very uneven, perhaps due to pandemic stuff. I am hopeful, though, that the second season will be a big step forward. Meaning, it was good enough to hope that it could eventually be really good.
Bad
Moon Knight - Meh
This was disappointing. Moon Knight was one of my favorites growing up, and I love Oscar Isaac, but it was just....boring? "Meh" is right.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Two more votes for Andor and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds in the TV series list. Also, The Orville: New Horizons (aka The Orville season 3) should be on the list.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Two more votes for Andor and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds in the TV series list. Also, The Orville: New Horizons (aka The Orville season 3) should be on the list.
We're almost done with Orville. I thought the first couple in season the were fine, but it's gotten better and better. Too bad it's likely done.

I understand the love for SNW, I don't share it I don't care about one character.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases