CheetahChallenge 1/4
Medium beast, unaligned50 XP
1599650427721.png

Armor Class 13
Hit Points 26 (5d8 + 4; bloodied 13)
Speed 50 ft.
1599650428889.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
14 (+2)16 (+3)13 (+1)3 (-4)10 (+0)8 (-1)
1599650429851.png

Saving Throws Dex +5
Skills Athletics +4, Perception +2
Senses Darkvision 120 ft., Passive Perception 12
Languages --
Proficiency Bonus +2 Maneuver DC 13
1599650430830.png

Controller. The cheetah can use a bonus action to make a bite attack against a prone or incapacitated target within its reach.

Feline Speed (2/ Short Rest). When the cheetah takes the Dash action it can move at 10 times its speed (500 ft.) during this movement. Additionally, if the cheetah succeeds on a DC 10 Constitution check at the end of its turn, its ability to use Feline Speed recharges.

Keen Sight. The cheetah has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.

ACTIONS
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) piercing damage. Additionally, if the cheetah chooses, the target must succeed on a DC 12 Strength saving throw or be grappled. Creatures grappled in this manner are also suffocating.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage and the target must make a DC 13 Strength or Dexterity saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is a Medium or smaller creature, it has disadvantage on the saving throw.

BONUS ACTIONS
Feline Agility.
The cheetah takes the Dash action.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I really like Feline Speed. Especially the fact that the tiger and Cheetah will play very differently simply due to their differing base speeds.

I think if I stat a cheetah, I’d also give it a trip effect on its attacks, bc Cheetahs tend to take out a leg to take down prey, causing the prey to faceplant and be easy prey from there.

I really love how distinct these beast will feel in a game, without relying on distinct widgets like powers or spells.
I made a Cheetah, really like to get your thoughts on how to improve it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Is there already a cheetah stat block? I looked on DnD Beyond and didn't find one.
Cheetah
Medium beast, unaligned

Armor Class 13
Hit Points 22 (4d8 + 4)
Speed 40 ft.

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
14 (+2)16 (+3)13 (+1)3 (-4)10 (+0)8 (-1)

Saving Throws DEX +4,
Skills Athletics +4, Perception +5, 2
Senses Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 12
Languages --
Challenge 1/2 (100 XP)

Feline Agility. The cheetah can take the Dash action as bonus actions.
Feline Speed. When the cheetah takes the Dash action it can move three times its speed until the end of its next turn. The cheetah can move at this speed for two turns, after which it must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a success it can continue moving three times its speed. On failure it can only move its normal speed and mush take a short rest before it can use this feature again.
Keen Sight. The cheetah has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.
Pounce. If the cheetah knocks a target it prone, it can use a bonus action to make a claw attack and a bite attack against the target.

Actions
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) piercing damage. Additionally, if the cheetah chooses, the target must succeed on a DC 12 Strength saving throw or be grappled. Creatures grappled in this manner is also suffocating.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage and the target is Medium or smaller it must make a DC 15 Strength or Dexterity saving throw or be knocked prone.
I’d want the trip to work on large creatures like many prey animals, esp since it isn’t a shove, but a trip, so being bigger isn’t really a defense until you get waaay bigger than what’s tripping you.

Also it just feels right to have them be able to trip a big prey animal like a horse.

Also we should look at the panther, and make sure we haven’t shot the other big cats way past it.

What about badgers, btw?

doctorbadwolf

The game does need more of the magical weird versions of beasts, too.

I wonder if that deserves its own thread, or belongs in this one?

dave2008

Legend
I’d want the trip to work on large creatures like many prey animals, esp since it isn’t a shove, but a trip, so being bigger isn’t really a defense until you get waaay bigger than what’s tripping you.

Also it just feels right to have them be able to trip a big prey animal like a horse.
I don't think a typical cheetah would attack a horse. A horse is much larger than a cheetah. From my understanding they stick to smaller prey, They are not big game hunters. I did some quick research and the inter-web agrees: cheetah diet The Thompson's gazelle (their favorite prey) tops out at about 75-80 lbs. For now I think I will keep it medium creatures.
Also we should look at the panther, and make sure we haven’t shot the other big cats way past it.
Yep, I want to do a lion too.

What about badgers, btw?
Badgers! We don't need no stinking badgers!

JK, of course we should give badgers a try.

doctorbadwolf

I don't think a typical cheetah would attack a horse. A horse is much larger than a cheetah. From my understanding they stick to smaller prey, They are not big game hunters. I did some quick research and the inter-web agrees: cheetah diet The Thompson's gazelle (their favorite prey) tops out at about 75-80 lbs. For now I think I will keep it medium creatures.

Yep, I want to do a lion too.

Badgers! We don't need no stinking badgers!

JK, of course we should give badgers a try.
Tbh I see no reason to think it’s attack wouldn’t work on a horse regardless of normal usage, but it’s fine I can just change it for my own use.

I am thinking about doing a short story arc of wilderness survival and travel for my D&D group, using many of these creatures!

Remove ads