D&D 5E Beyond 20th Level: Proficiency Bonuses

Hello, everyone,

I'm working on some homebrewed variant classes based on 1st edition for my 5th edtion game. One of the old 1E classes, in particular, the Druid has class features that are gained above 20th level (based on Unearthed Arcana). Also, there are beings in Deities & Demigods (or Legends & Lore) that have class levels greater than 20. And, eventually, I plan on converting some Arcana Evolved classes for use in the campaign, too. And, the base AE classes go up to 25th level, also.

So, I was wondering... Is there an official rule on whether or not characters that progress beyond 20th level continue to improve their proficiency bonus beyond +6?

I'm torn between capping at +6 and continuing the progression. I know monsters of CRs higher than 20 have proficiency bonuses greater than +6.

Thank you.

CapnZapp

Legend
Not saying it will ever happen, but my tentative plans for continuing to level up characters above 20 would essentially involve multiclassing.

As in, after twenty levels of one class, you need to pick a second.

You would gain the epic boons (or whatever they're called) from the DMG.

And, yes, the proficiency bonus would still rise. Don't see a good reason why it should not.

As for your specific question, I can't remember ever seeing an official table of proficiency bonuses above level 20, though.

Not saying it will ever happen, but my tentative plans for continuing to level up characters above 20 would essentially involve multiclassing.

As in, after twenty levels of one class, you need to pick a second.

You would gain the epic boons (or whatever they're called) from the DMG.

And, yes, the proficiency bonus would still rise. Don't see a good reason why it should not.

As for your specific question, I can't remember ever seeing an official table of proficiency bonuses above level 20, though.
Yeah, there's a table in both the MM and the DMG for monsters of CR21+.

Just wasn't sure if there'd ever been an official ruling.

I'm pretty sure we'll just continue the progression (+7 at 21st, +8 at 25th, +9 at 29th, etc.). Not saying that we'll ever get to that level (especially, since we're planning on using a slower rate of XP gain and XP charts based off of 1E), but it's nice to know how it might work if we got there.

Prism

Explorer
In our 20th+ level game we allow multi-classing and for those that don't want to, the ability to take a second subclass as a 4-5 level class. So a wizard could be an evoker and an abjurer. We use the DMG table for proficiency advancement

Caliburn101

Explorer
Bad, bad idea to have proff. bonuses increase.

If you want higher numbers - epic abilities allow raising stats to 24 for an extra +2, which is a high addition to the game limited to +11 for most and +13 for Barbarians (before the addition of magical items...).

On the multiclassing issue - doing that doesn't sit well with the core aim of Bonded Accuracy.

However, I have introduced (in order to keep it nominally equivalent to getting epic boons instead) a system for gaining either the core abilities of another class (one per level in order) or just those of a subclass of the same class the character is as an epic 'pseudo-multiclass' option.

It works well. I created Mordenkainen with that and a mix of epic abilities and subclass goodies and he ended up an Epic level Evoker/Abjurer Wizard with an extra 9th level spell and 24 Intelligence - perfect!

He certainly felt appropriately powerful with +13 before magical items on his spell DC base and spell attack...

CapnZapp

Legend
Just wasn't sure if there'd ever been an official ruling.
If you're asking if the devs have made any official rulings on epic play, I think it is safe to say "no".

There are no rules for player characters to level beyond 20th level*, so there would be no rules for them to make rulings on. When we allow our players to take actual levels beyond twenty, we are pretty much on our own.

*) the only official allowance for level 20 adventurers to continue their adventures is that they can gain an epic boon chosen by the DM (not the player) every 30000 XP, or alternatively a feat, or an ASI (that can break the 20 ceiling). Nothing about actual leveling there. And without levels, there would be no reason for your proficiency bonus to increase.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases