Beyond Combat; It's a Trap!

R-Hero

Explorer
You could always go for the trap that isn't.

A group that I gamed with refered to one of the DMs more evil waste of resources.

A stick in the dirt.

The party attacked, observed, and burned up magic and time trying to figure out what the mound of dirt with a stick plunged into it. Thats all it was.

Kinda like Eric and the gazeebo...

Cor_Malek

First Post
You could always go for the trap that isn't.

A group that I gamed with refered to one of the DMs more evil waste of resources.

A stick in the dirt.

The party attacked, observed, and burned up magic and time trying to figure out what the mound of dirt with a stick plunged into it. Thats all it was.

Kinda like Eric and the gazeebo...

Um, call me crazy and presumptuous, but to me it looks like DM's cock-up. If we're too devoted to Chekhov gun philosophy, then whenever anything is mentioned, players expect it to be relevant. Did the DM describe every twig the characters saw, ever? If not, why did he choose to describe this one?
If he did that on purpose (knowing that everything he mentions is relevant and players are expected to, and do respond to it), it might just go into history as the worse attempt at lamp shading, ever.

As to traps: I like my RPG conversion of spike trap. The trap itself looks like that (if you pardon my ASCII):
OOC:
|______|
|\__ __/|
| \___/_|
|\ \_ /_/|
| \_ _ /_|
|\ \ _/ / |
| \_ _ /_|
| \___/_|
|______|
|______|
|______|
|______|
Vertical and horizontal lines are walls, and the diagonal are some sort of long spike, something springy. When someone steps over it and spring it, his leg falls inside and past the spikes. If he tries to pull it out, however - the spikes dig into his thigh (or calf, if he reacted quickly), dealing damage.
How I do it in DnD is:
- grant spot attempt
- character that sprung it get's a reflex check to jump in some other direction, it has high DC
- if given PC has points in traps*, he's granted a secondary reflex check (lower than above) to fall down. How much he botches this roll, signifies how deep his leg falls in.
- Um, nothing happens. There are two possibilities, depending on players reaction: a) he's calm and tries to asses his situation, I describe spikes at downward angle pressing on his leg or b) he tries to get out immediately, and the spikes dig into his body, dealing damage. Mounts don't get to do b).
Continuous attempts to pull the leg out will just deal more and more damage. x2 in fact, half of which is non-lethal (the idea here is that he'd rather pass out than kill himself with it. If he doesn't pass out, I handwave the non-lethal damage on account of adrenaline rush or something - it's essentially my failsafe as DM).
Either by figuring it out themselves, or by a good trap check, players will know that the only way to get out of the trap is to destroy it (unless they're into field amputation). The HP and hardness will vary from trap to trap, but it takes time, and is almost always very loud. A villain with a lot of low level spell slots to spare might consider putting Alarm spell on bottom of the pit, which will make him know immediately if one is sprung. This is of course on top of the hassle anyone will do when attempting to get out.

Bottom line - it's supposed to create suspension of "what to do" for players. It really doesn't need lethality to be effective. It's goal is to shaken the PC's and provoke them to make enough racket to be noticed. And off to our cunningly improbable escape route!

*It's a design so common that I count it among things players don't have to know, but their characters do.

Last edited:

Oryan77

Adventurer
Um, call me crazy and presumptuous, but to me it looks like DM's cock-up. If we're too devoted to Chekhov gun philosophy, then whenever anything is mentioned, players expect it to be relevant. Did the DM describe every twig the characters saw, ever? If not, why did he choose to describe this one?
If he did that on purpose (knowing that everything he mentions is relevant and players are expected to, and do respond to it), it might just go into history as the worse attempt at lamp shading, ever.

I think you're saying you didn't like what you quoted from the other poster, but I can't tell.

Can you rewrite that bit and maybe do without all the fancy shmancy catch phrases? It might help dumb people like me understand what you're trying to say. ;)

I thought the stick idea was pretty funny. I'm just wondering if you are warning us not to do it. I think you even explained what is good or bad about doing that, but I can't tell through all the needless jargon. :p

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Um, call me crazy and presumptuous, but to me it looks like DM's cock-up. If we're too devoted to Chekhov gun philosophy, then whenever anything is mentioned, players expect it to be relevant.
Isn't that exactly why it's the perfect trap? The players expect it to be important.

You'll probably only be able to pull one on the same group once, but it seems to me quite enough. :)

Cor_Malek

First Post
I think you're saying you didn't like what you quoted from the other poster, but I can't tell.

Can you rewrite that bit and maybe do without all the fancy shmancy catch phrases? It might help dumb people like me understand what you're trying to say. ;)

I thought the stick idea was pretty funny. I'm just wondering if you are warning us not to do it. I think you even explained what is good or bad about doing that, but I can't tell through all the needless jargon. :p

I had hoped that someone will beat me to it, as I'm quite bad at explaining things in detail. That's why I used so many, maybe a bit uncommon phrases - each (well, maybe not "cockup") saved me at least one full paragraph. I'll do my best to explain those terms and therefore previous post, but because I will be doing that, I'll make you pay dearly and forward you to page, where certain people shouldn't be sent to. At least if they value their time.
Home Page - Television Tropes & Idioms
May Yhwh have mercy on my soul.

If you prefer my explanation:

cockup - brit word for botch (ie: I had high hopes for Daikatana, but it was a total cockup. or -How was last session with McBad Geam? -Several cockups leading to TPK, the usual.).

---

Anton Chekhov was a brilliant literate. But among laymen however, he's mostly known for his quote on scene design, which first appeared in his correspondence, then in a journal about theatres. The one I I quote is paraphrase of them from Memoirs of Shchukin:
"If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it's not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging there."

Chekhov's gun in it's wide meaning is technique, or rather type of foreshadowing. Reader knows that any object placed in story is bound to be relevant to the story. Said object/information is called Chekhov's gun. It makes for clear storytelling, but it can often ruin the story for more savvy readers.
Many great authors write with contrary idea - they populate their world so what reader/observer can better empathise with problems the protagonist is facing (instead of just cheering for him "Oh come on! Old lady cat was eating a fish! Of course the killer was the fisherman you meet in the mornings, how can you not see this?!")- for example Thomas Harris "Red Dragon" is full of false leads, objects to which investigators put too much meaning to, etc. Ignoring Chekhov's advice means that the reader is forced to use own brain and think outside the box. He will challenge the plan presented by author. This of course means there's a lot of pressure on storyteller - his tale must actually make sense, because he tries to make reader involved instead of relying on suspense of disbelief (oh so many "genius" plans that had more holes than emmentaler cheese (yeah it's the one with all the holes ;-) )).

Red herring is almost direct contradiction of Chekhov's gun. Players used to DM's and games where everything is relevant will chase first red herring in sight, then possibly slay it and expect GP's and misplaced artefacts to pour out of his stomach.

Ah, and the good old "lamp shading", or "lampshade hanging", or simply "lampshade". Author acknowledges his idea is poor, or maybe that he overused a joke or a trope... He acknowledges this fact, makes his sweetest expression and basicaly says to reader "bare with me on that, it's gonna be cool". So the bad design is the shining lamp, and this act is the lampshade. For example:
"This would work only in a movie!" or by Shakespear himself (Twelfth Night): "If this were play'd upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable fiction."
Those are examples of lampshading in action. But sometimes author will acknowledge that he's been overusing something. It's well known around Discworld thatmilion to one chances work in 9 out of ten situations (is there any book without this sentence?). In one of the books (um, the one where Watch is introduced as more than Nobby and Fred), characters deem hitting a dragon too probable, and add more details like standing on one leg, with hanky in hand - to boost improbability and make it sure shot.

So if GM mentions anything only if it's relevant to the story, for example he never describes small mannerisms of insignificant people, or details of surroundings - anything that he does mention - has to be significant. In such world, it's a scientific fact of quantum physics, that any object or incident that is observed - holds significance to observer.
If GM puts door only to trap it or put monsters behind it, his players will treat any such portal as a threat. Can you imagine taking 20 minutes every time you encounter a door? Some portion of mushrooms is poisonous. If GM puts only poisoned or otherwise threatening fungi around the place - it's no strange thing that PC's could starve in cavern full of nutritious shrooms.
If discoloured plates and misplaced sticks are mentioned only to note a trap - it's not particularly strange that players will take their time over every plate that had to be replaced, and every stick that was dropped. If it signifies anything - it's that DM storytelling tricks are predictable.

However, I'd still give benefit of doubt to the DM - he could be leading a game for new group that has undertaken years of respondent conditioning by some other DM. Or maybe they like their plots only as a premise for killing stuff. I don't judge, but my original reaction to story was that it was sad testimony not to players but to Pavlovian DM who shaped them so.

Isn't that exactly why it's the perfect trap? The players expect it to be important.
Yes, if GM indulges certain type of narrative, the players will expect any twig that get's mentioned by GM to be of grave importance. Their characters would not. They see sticks, twigs and number of other forms of long objects all the time(especially since bulk of them are male). Their characters might realize they're bound to encounter people of more power then theirs, and an occasional stick that is just laying there.
Taking over groups from such DM's can be awful for people who prefer to lead games in open worlds. They will attack any villain, they will slay every monster and will expect any threat to be level appropriate. Ugh.

PS.: As you can see, I used those terms not to be pompous, but rather because I'd otherwise have to spend a lot of text explaining ideas behind them, and I'm really terrible at explaining stuff. You know how the old interview cliché goes: "And what's your biggest vice?" "I'm too much of a perfectionist". It aint funny when you actually are :) Try drawing a forest when you want to focus on each tree separately.
Despite this disability of mine, I do love to explain things, so I consider anyone exposed to be my victim of a crime of passion. When I'm eventually judged for this by the beardy GM in the sky - your name will come up.

Last edited:

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
So if GM mentions anything only if it's relevant to the story, for example he never describes small mannerisms of insignificant people, or details of surroundings - anything that he does mention - has to be significant.

I do rather think that Oryan was being sarcastic, but thanks for the explanations anyway. :)

Here's one for you:
First Law Of Metafictional Thermodynamics - Television Tropes & Idioms

To keep the flow of the game at a proper pace the GM can't always describe anything and everything that he'd want to. Details that do not matter will therefore always be left out even if the GM might feel that they could have added to the experience. This is so that the players do not feel like they are being spoonfed miles and miles of stuff they do not care, or do not need to care about. The possiblity for injecting a trap of this kind exists because of this.

HoboGod

First Post
The Grimtooth books are my favorite source of RPG traps. I'd say that no trap-making GM should be without one. And the fact that it's 99.9% universal to any fantasy RPG makes it wonderfully easy to implement.

Celebrim

Legend
The Grimtooth books are my favorite source of RPG traps.

I'd like to take old Grimtooth behind the wood shed sometime and have a word with him - designer to designer - about the dysfunctional culture he helped to create around traps.

Only he'd probably realize that it was a trap.

R-Hero

Explorer

I was in a little of a hurry when I posted last week.

The DM in question is known here at EnWorld as Jollydoc. (Read some of his story hours, good read) I wasn't in this particular game but it as told to me around the table while reminiscing about some fun times.

J.D. is by far one of the best DMs I've had the honor to play with. He wouldn't have tried to intentionally fool the players into wasting resources. But, being the cut throat type of Dm he is, he wasn't going to hold the players hand either and stopped them from doing what they wanted to do in game.

Per your example, no he would not describe every twig the charactes saw, PROVIDED they were in a forest or something similar. The group was in a dungeon enviroment and the twig/pitchers-mound looked out of place. (Just like a shiny crystal ball would look out of place in a forest, ergo deserved a description as well)

There was no special emphasis placed but it was the proverbial balloon being floated in front of the guys playing.

Bottom line, we all play to have fun and sometimes the bad guy's win. I don't know of any people that leaves JD.s table and has not have fun.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases