Unearthed Arcana Beyond D&D: Replacements and Enhancements for the Ranger and Fighter

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Could easily be the size of the phb.
None of these worlds need a deep dive, and nowhere near that much crunch is needed.

The PHB covers the multiverse in 3 pages, the DMG does it in 25 Pages.

Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica spends ~70 pages on the Guilds, and zooms in on the Tenth District for 23 pages.

A Planar book that spends ~70 pages on the Planes proper, and zooms in for ~23 pages of Sigil would be reasonable, and a major expansion to the DMG material.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I’d add a beefier tank animal to that

The Beast of Earth is probably going to be the "beefy" option, so in your feedback survey you should suggest upping it's Con score :)

...multi classing became assumed. My preference is that multi classing needs to make sense in game, and have a logical reasoning why it's happening. Meaning, if your fighter wants to multiclasss into a wizard, you should have been doing wizarding things beforehand, like studying magic on your off time, etc. I never liked the "boom! now you know how to cast spells all the sudden!"

I don't mind Multiclassing being a default option, all my tables play with it anyway. 5e assumes that the narrative fiction is supporting your multiclassing as well, but at the end of the day it's up to the DM & Player to either work it into the PC history, the ongoing narrative, or both.

PHB said:
MULTICLASSING EXAMPLE
Gary is playing a 4th-level fighter. When his character earns enough experience points to reach 5th level, Gary decides that his character will multiclass instead of continuing to progress as a fighter. Gary’s fighter has been spending a lot of time with Dave’s rogue, and has even been doing some jobs on the side for the local thieves’ guild as a bruiser. Gary decides that his character will multiclass into the rogue class, and thus his character becomes a 4th-level fighter and 1st-level rogue (written as fighter 4/rogue 1).

When Gary’s character earns enough experience to reach 6th level, he can decide whether to add another fighter level (becoming a fighter 5/rogue 1), another rogue level (becoming a fighter 4/rogue 2), or a level in a third class, perhaps dabbling in wizardry thanks to the tome of mysterious lore he acquired (becoming a fighter 4/rogue 1/wizard 1).

I also just heard Crawford talk about this mutliclassing as part of the narrative fiction of the game in one of the many YouTube videos I've watched with him recently... I can't remember which one right now, but it says the same thing.

"The fighter who multiclass to wizard is assumed to have been studying in the background the whole time." or something to that effect. It's up to the DM and the Player how they explain it in the game though!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The PHB covers the multiverse in 3 pages, the DMG does it in 25 Pages.

Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica spends ~70 pages on the Guilds, and zooms in on the Tenth District for 23 pages.

A Planar book that spends ~70 pages on the Planes proper, and zooms in for ~23 pages of Sigil would be reasonable, and a major expansion to the DMG material.
With room to spare for at least a half dozen mtg worlds, and some crunch.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The Beast of Earth is probably going to be the "beefy" option, so in your feedback survey you should suggest upping it's Con score :)
I’d rather have two such pets, one “of the hunt” and another that steals the “earth” moniker and is more bearlike.

Remove ads