• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Biblical Monsters?

Kai Lord

Hero
Re: Re: Biblical Monsters?

Green Knight said:

And last I checked, God and angels can't exactly go around ordering the minions of hell around.

The Bible is full of examples of not only God ordering Satan and demons around, but the Disciples doing it too. You think Satan has the option to say, "No God, I don't follow you, I don't have to do what you say." Only when God allows it, my friend.

When God gets down to business, EVERYTHING obeys Him. Check out how obedient Satan's minions get anytime Jesus crosses their path.

And this is a minor pet peeve, but its REVELATION people, not REVELATIONS.

HalfElfSorcerer

First Post
Leopold said:
they sound like those manscorpion lion mixes...what the hell are they called...heads the shape of a man with barbed tails and body of lions..not chimera...arrgghh!!!
Manticores, I would assume. Body of lion, with scorpion tail. If it's something else, I have no idea.

I love the bible for non-literal prose style. If you study how things are said, you can tap into a whole mythopoetic language structure that's almost entirely lost in English.

You only catch the edges of it, reading translations like that ... Hebrew and Greek have words, ideas, and nuances totally lost in a younger language like English.

But if you sit back and let it hit you the structures are a mindbender. You can really describe any monster in biblical terms and make it creepy and awe-inspiring. And the kingdoms of the enemy. Even prophecy.

If the PCs are chasing a prophecy and with each piece they start to realize that the "beast" they are trying to find is not, after all, a great many-headed monster but is, instead, their own high council ... but realize too late to get back and stop them, and must instead raise an army of their own to oppose? Good stuff.

--HT

Erik Mona

Adventurer
As someone mentioned upthread, I put the locust demons (and Abaddon) in Armies of the Abyss. They're pretty true to the source material, though the bit about Abaddon's personal layer of the Abyss was pure invention on my part.

I also put the seven-headed beast of the Apocalypse in the book.

Decided against the Whore of Babylon, though (although the book's certainly not lacking prostitutes).

--Erik

Rashak Mani

First Post
Funny that D&D doesnt have Christian Mythology creatures as much as other more classical mythologies. Bible isnt into direct descriptions...

Many spells thou are from biblical references... like the Stick to Snakes thing.

Last edited:

MulhorandSage

First Post
Erik Mona said:
As someone mentioned upthread, I put the locust demons (and Abaddon) in Armies of the Abyss. They're pretty true to the source material, though the bit about Abaddon's personal layer of the Abyss was pure invention on my part.

I also put the seven-headed beast of the Apocalypse in the book.

Decided against the Whore of Babylon, though (although the book's certainly not lacking prostitutes).

--Erik

No whore of Babylon? You're no fun, Erik! :)

Although the Locust-Demon is probably quite common in the mythology of the region. Baal also fights some in Canaanite mythology.

Scott Bennie

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads