• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Big Props for Erik Mona

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Shade said:
Now that I realize 4e has destroyed everything I love about past editions of the game, I view the final few years of Dragon and Dungeon to be the ultimate swan song for the game I love.

If you guys can somehow fix the damage done with 4e, I'm with you. If not...

Mona and Jacobs (and Peterson) for 5e!

Yep, WotC is a complete tool. They haven't really listened to their fans. Thus the outrage of 4th edition so soon with lots of pointless changes that invalidates 30 + years of gaming history. I don't ever remember a survey asking if I would apporove of Dragon and Dungeon being being converted to useless electronic forms. Thanks a lot WotC.

As a Planescape fan I really liked the work that Erik Mona did, FC1 was one of my favourite 3e books as it did a lot to reconcile all the editions together and add something new. It's something I favour far more in light of what they've revealed recently.

Shazman said:
Yep, WotC is a complete tool. They haven't really listened to their fans. Thus the outrage of 4th edition so soon with lots of pointless changes that invalidates 30 + years of gaming history. I don't ever remember a survey asking if I would apporove of Dragon and Dungeon being being converted to useless electronic forms. Thanks a lot WotC.

I take issue with that statement, friend. I don't think Dragon and Dungeon in electronic forms are useless -- in fact, they're much more useful as searchable PDFs than as print media I have to lug around and can be ripped or splashed or suffer all sorts of other damage. I do not believe the changes to 4th edition are pointless, even if I don't agree with a few of them. I think Wizards has been listening to those fans who bother to post at their boards, and even occasionally those who have been posting here. Much better than to listen to random fans, however, is listening to professional game designers who actually know how to design a fun game. Design by Committee guarantees a disaster 100% of the time.

So it seems your point of view and mine are diametrically opposed. Whose point of view should Wizards cater to, then? Are you more important a gamer than I? Or am I more important than you? Believe me, no one will get it all their way -- Mearls might, but I have my doubts -- so you or I shouldn't be that special.

catsclaw227

First Post
Shade said:
Now that I realize 4e has destroyed everything I love about past editions of the game, I view the final few years of Dragon and Dungeon to be the ultimate swan song for the game I love.
How could 4e have done that? Have you seen the final SRD? Oh... wait. You are reacting to non-crunch blog discussions about stuff that might change anyway.

Whew... I thought it was May 2008 already, and I missed something! :p

Cam Banks

Adventurer
While we're at it, I think Wes Schneider and Mike McArtor deserve more love. Wes especially has been very understanding about how incredibly anal I am with Dragonlance continuity when he's invited me to write for Dragon, and I know that's not easy to deal with. And Mike's an all-round cool guy. So, er, mad props to them, too!

Cheers,
Cam

Shade

Monster Junkie
catsclaw227 said:
How could 4e have done that? Have you seen the final SRD? Oh... wait. You are reacting to non-crunch blog discussions about stuff that might change anyway.

Whew... I thought it was May 2008 already, and I missed something! :p

I don't need to see the final SRD to know that they've messed up demons, devils, and the planar cosmology to the point I'm no longer interested.

Crunch isn't everything. In fact, it's far less important to me. For me (and many others), the flavor makes the game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads