• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Biggest Franchises Without an RPG

Ahnehnois

First Post
Most of them don't need their name on the cover of the book to be awesome RPG experiences.
True, and I incorporate ideas from many sources into my existing games.

I was simply responding to the thread topic, but "which IPs are worth creating new rpgs for" or "what does a licensed rpg have to to do be a good game" are also topics to discuss.

Are there any lessons we can take from Breaking Bad that would make for innovative and effective game mechanics?

The most obvious HBO property that could go for an rpg and doesn't have one is True Blood (to my knowledge there's no rpg). But really, almost anything on HBO could make an interesting game.

Harry Potter is certainly the biggest I can think of.

Star Trek and Conan had games but nobody currently are license holders. Marvel just went too. I'd love to see another James Bond rpg, done in the manner of Cubicle 7s Doctor Who game.

Star Trek has come up a couple times and while it's currently lacking a licence it has been done a couple of times, but never to much success.
I'm more curious about all the various Properties and Franchises that have never been done officially.

Although you could certainly talk about the hows and whys a Star Trek game might struggle. I seem to remember a podcast on that. City of Doors maybe?

drothgery

First Post
Harry Potter - I suspect the interested fans went to either D&D or WoW. Another likely candidate though.
There's no RPG because JK Rowling doesn't want there to be one. But there should have been one in stores some time between the day the last book hit paperback and the day the last movie opened.

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
What IPs surprise you with their lack of RPGs? What properties would you love to see an official RPG for?
Well, I'm surprised that a new generation RPG hasn't been redone for TMNT; my kids and I enjoy the current series! Dexter might be a cool RPG, maybe for a duo (GM and single player). Pacific Rim is still in theatres, but I'd seriously consider buying the RPG if one came along.

Stormonu

Legend
Other than Potter, I'd like to see one for Planet of the Apes and Flash Gordon. I mean, for the latter Buck Rogers and John Carter has already been done, but not Flash - to my knowledge.

A Pern RPG might be interesting, as might a Clan of th Cave Bear stone age game.

Wouldn't Vampire Diaries/Blood Diaries be covered by Vampire:The Masquarade? Because if not, then you should have an Anne Rice vampire Rpg.

Thundarr the Barbarian. Xcom. Fallout. Resident Evil. Men in Black. Heroes (great concept absolutely f'd in execution). Lost (change that end to something better). Skyrim. Bourne trilogy would be interesting with pcs all former Treadstone agents. Revolution -real world setting without electrical power I guarantee the pcs will be far more creative in society-building. Once Upon a Time. Any of those vampire shows playing now...

That's off the tip of my head.

Other than Potter, I'd like to see one for Planet of the Apes and Flash Gordon. I mean, for the latter Buck Rogers and John Carter has already been done, but not Flash - to my knowledge.

A Pern RPG might be interesting, as might a Clan of th Cave Bear stone age game.

Wouldn't Vampire Diaries/Blood Diaries be covered by Vampire:The Masquarade? Because if not, then you should have an Anne Rice vampire Rpg.

I tink that Flash Gordon has been covered pretty well by the recent Rocket Age, although there are lots if pulp games out there.

Similarly, Vampire: The Masquerade does cover Anne Rice style vampires, but it's not a licensee of any vampish TV show.

One thing that could work effectively is Boardwalk Empire.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads