bite/claw/claw/wing/wing/tail in 6 seconds??

Wicht

Hero
I have been ruling it that the dragons can only get 1 wing attack per any one individual.

This is especially important as my wife likes to polymorph all the party members into medium sized gold dragons. :rolleyes:

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Visualizing Dragons

I have gotten the impression most of you have a problem with visualization. So let's try an exercise:

Picture something about the size of a brachiosaurus. With a shorter neck, larger head, shorter better muscled legs, a longer body, and a set of teeth and claws larger than human limbs. Add in a thick heavily muscled tail and a pair of wings.

Now place yourself next to this beast. Tiny, aren't you? He decides to lay down on your PC the odds are you're rolling up a new character.

If you still need help visualizing the size difference between humans and dragons, take a trip to the zoo. Swing by the elephant enclosure during your trip. Watch as the keepers and elephants interact. Keep in mind that most adult dragons are about the size of an adult elephant. And better equiped for combat.

Give yourself sometime to fully realize this. Sit down, take up a good book, and read for awhile. Don't worry, your brain will be working on the problem while you read. After an hour or two it should hit you, them bastards is big.

True, some of the dragons you meet are going to be your size or smaller. But not all. Start thinking in terms of a toy poodle versus a great dane, only the great dane has flammable halitosis.

Expect a posting on variant dragon combat in the DnD forum sometime today.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Wolf72 said:
monsters not getting multiple attacks: I believe that monsters using natural weapons do not get iterive attacks.

They get iterive attacks if their BAB is high enough and they have a weapon. Such as most giants.
And you would be correct.

--Conditional Spikey

HeavyG

First Post
cyrnus said:
As for the dragon attack picture this:
The dragon spins hitting you with first his left wing then his tail followed by his right wing being careful that each hit knocks you into position for the next. Just as he is facing you once more he swipes at you with one claw sending you flying into the air and catches you with the other claw squeezing tightly. Just when you think it can't get any worse his head comes rushing towards you and bites your head off.

Wow ! Dragon Kung-Fu !

Galfridus

First Post
It's called "Bullet Time"

7thlvlDM said:
How does something as big as a house (refering to dragons) make 6 attacks with different appendages in 6 seconds? Furthermore, as far as I can determine, there is no requirement that these attacks must be spread between multiple opponents. How do you bite someone quick enough to hit it with your tail while maneuvering to swipe at it with both wings???

Obviously, all dragons have seen The Matrix.

Sodalis

First Post
who ever said that just because dragons are large creatures that they have to have poor dexterity?

Have you seen the muscles ripple on them buggers? and theyhave magical movement which makes them even more dexterous.

So the physics would tell you that they should be slow and hard to maneuver because of their size... inertia and torque and what not- but who do youconsider more dexterous? you or a dog? why is that? shouldn't it be the dog since youhave longer limbs and shoukd therefore be less able to maneuver than the dog?

dragons live for thousands of years and in that time- learn to use their limbs extremely well... and so 6 attacks per round is not a surprise...

and who said that they had to be 6 separate attacks? who said that while it was hitting you with a claw, the mouth had to be out of the area? can't you visualize a dragon making a claw and a bite at the sme time? or a wing and a claw? or how abou both wings and a bite? both claws and a bite at the same time...?

damn.. they is strong

:eek:

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I always had a problem with dragons and 6 attacks, not because t didn't make sense for them to attack 6 times or whatever, but because they never fit my vision for a dragon in a fight. Maybe its because I saw to many movies where they fight dragons, but I prefer the dragons styalistically having roughly one semi-accurate attack a round. The attack should be absolutely devastating though. Instead of 6 attacks at + something absurd to hit, for lots of damage. I prefer one attack at something decent to hit, doing absurd damage. You know something like +20 to hit for the great wyrm but for 5d20+100. Basicaly you get hit, you're almost guaranteed to die, so don't get hit by a dragon. Then again this may be more of a problem with the hp system.

Remove ads