Black Flag Black Flag Reference Document released by Kobold Press.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Huh. So how does that work? They took the WotC CC-BY SRD, fiddled with it, then released it under the ORC license. Hopefully someone with a better grasp of the legalities involved will come along soon.
I thought it was that you can use someone's CC-BY stuff as long as you credit them and whatever permissions you give pass the CC-BY through on the stuff you copied. (You could have complete copyright, for example, but you can't let folks copy the CC-BY originating stuff without following CC-BY themselves for those parts).

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I thought it was that you can use someone's CC-BY stuff as long as you credit them and whatever permissions you give pass the CC-BY through on the stuff you copied. (You could have complete copyright, for example, but you can't let folks copy the CC-BY originating stuff without following CC-BY themselves for those parts).
Okay. So then the document should be marked up to show which bits go with which license, right? Otherwise you’re leaving the end user out to dry on what’s what.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Okay. So then the document should be marked up to show which bits go with which license, right? Otherwise you’re leaving the end user out to dry on what’s what.

It feels like it to me? But we have passed the bounds of my expertise and memory :-( I look forward to seeing what others say.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I am sure their lawyers—who wrote the OGL and ORC if they’re the same company we and Paizo and others use—have advised them well. And they’ve been publishing for many years under the OGL. They know what they’re doing. I wouldn’t worry. :)

aco175

Legend
They seem to have added some things to the base 5e that look cool. Some weapon things like bash or ricochet shot may be cool or just slow things down so we will see. They also changed some things to make sense once you use it, like armor having the noisy property instead of just saying it grants disadvantage on moving silently.

Monster fighting with the Doom optional rule looks like it is just saying to DMs to fudge if you think it will be cool. Need to reroll the save or have the big bad last one more round, then boom!, I mean Doom.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
It's interesting that the only "new" lineage released into ORC is the beastkin. There's no small people (Kobold is exploring combining halfling and gnome) or kobold

I'm not sure how I feel about Tales yet. The Cleric class went backwards from 5E imo, reducing its scope from anything divine to just deities. Stuff like that really turns me off from wanting to play the game, since I find that flavor very descriptive, narrow, and not how I like to view or play with the world. I like Clerics who can also be based on philosophies, creeds, abstract forces, and so on -- not who has to worship some man-god like a slave in order to cast cure wounds.

I hope they open up their classes a bit more.

Remove ads