D&D 5E Blacks in 5E Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I would not like to see the art restricted by any attempts to be real world. When black fits, use black. When any other color scheme fits, use that.

Andor

First Post
I agree, while a single campaign might take place in some small backwater, and thus feature a single ethnic group the world at large should be diverse. Not every PC in the books needs to look like a 15th century yokel from Burgundy.

Edit: Also, don't limit physical appearance to generic real world groups. Someone with dark skin, red hair, blue eyes, and Malaysian bone structure could be an interesting character.

The real world has far more than 3 ethnic groups. A fantasy world can have all of them and more.

There are some problems however. How do you mix race in the ethnic group sense with race in the D&D demi-human sense? Are there multiple ethnic groups for all the other races? You have problems either way. If all the elves are white, and dwarves are black, that's bad. If there have to be full representations of every ethnic group for every non-human race it gets rapidly ridiculous from a would building standpoint. "Okay the Bantu Orcs are the the hills north of Greyhawk. Where are we putting the Inuit Gnomes?"

(Side note: Technically speaking if a group can interbreed, they are a single species. IE; Men, Orcs and Elves are all the same species.)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
When a tropic is closed by a moderator, please don't start a new thread on the same topic for at least a week or so afterward.

Thanks for keeping this thread respectful. PM me with questions.

Thread closed for now. If someone wants to remind me, I'll just reopen this thread once the topic has cooled off a bit.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It was a discussion of the Grumpy RPG column on Blacks in Gaming, that had in part drifted into art. It also drifted into real-world politics, and was closed.

There is also currently a thread in the Media Lounge on the same thing (talking about art, among other things), that remains open as it has not gotten terribly political: http://www.enworld.org/forum/media-.../315417-grumpy-rpg-reviews-blacks-gaming.html

I think maybe one such thread on the boards is enough, though, so I'm going to close this one, just for safety's sake.

(And, personal opinion - pitching for blacks in art is nice, but pitching for non-Caucasians in art is better.)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads